lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2023, 01:26 AM   #1
Toni
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1replacing clutch

this is my old and new clutch is it the same thing? Hopefully I am attaching a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17009798606396570045823986286770.jpg (221.5 KB, 0 views)
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2023, 10:04 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: G1replacing clutch

You might get quicker replies up in the yamaha gas section
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:18 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Not the same clutch. The new one is what we call a "puck" style clutch, designed after the Comet 94c. As long as the new clutch is for a Yamaha G1 then yes you can use it. Make sure all the pucks are aligned properly, read the directions. If the pucks are installed incorrectly it won't shift right and will cause issues.

Are you using this on a stock 2 stroke G1 engine?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:38 PM   #4
Toni
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Not the same clutch. The new one is what we call a "puck" style clutch, designed after the Comet 94c. As long as the new clutch is for a Yamaha G1 then yes you can use it. Make sure all the pucks are aligned properly, read the directions. If the pucks are installed incorrectly it won't shift right and will cause issues.

I bought this to run around and do gardening projects, got it cheap I have never done mechical work in my life however have installed a starter, silnoids and a bunch of other things in the last couple years, with the help I get here and google. i hvae a Yamaha G! 1983 2 cycl J24-008288 converted to oil put in the gas tank. the clutch as listed as a direct replacement, didn't come with instructions so i don't know how in the heck to put those pucks in there correctly, I will go ask the place I bought it from. thank you very much for your help!
Old 11-26-2023, 12:40 PM   #5
Toni
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post

I bought this to run around and do gardening projects, got it cheap I have never done mechical work in my life however have installed a starter, silnoids and a bunch of other things in the last couple years, with the help I get here and google. i hvae a Yamaha G! 1983 2 cycl J24-008288 converted to oil put in the gas tank. the clutch as listed as a direct replacement, didn't come with instructions so i don't know how in the heck to put those pucks in there correctly, I will go ask the place I bought it from. thank you very much for your help! I don't know how to use this site well either!!
Old 11-26-2023, 12:42 PM   #6
Toni
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
You might get quicker replies up in the yamaha gas section
I thought ai did...uggg
Old 11-27-2023, 02:02 PM   #7
Toni
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Been on hold with tech support at golf king does anyone knows how the pucks go into this thing correctly?
Old 11-27-2023, 02:12 PM   #8
Toni
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Been on hold with tech support at golf king does anyone knows how the pucks go into this thing correctly?
FOUND pictures on here from "popatop" if anyone else runs into this problem
Old 11-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I think they only go one way, once you see what they do. They slide out with rpm to close the clutch. It should work really the G1 is about the same rpm as the 4 cycle engines so its probably the same other than offset could be different. The old clutch you can't get any parts for they stopped making them in the 80s iirc. My 94c is for an ezgo it has the ribbed cover some have the smooth cover (the cover not in your photo). The pucks and springs are different for each type in case you ever need to change them. Should put the dust cover on it as dust will make the pucks wear out faster. Mine uses a puller to come apart, then it presses together when installed. The same puller removes it and can remove cover which sticks on when you take it off, or mine does.

You should be able to find 94C instructions online someplace that shows the pucks. Very common clutch in old 70s sleds. I had mine off there 20 times trying to tune it in better for my modded engine but you should not need to do that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:10 PM   #10
Toni
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Angry Re: G1replacing clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I think they only go one way, once you see what they do. They slide out with rpm to close the clutch. It should work really the G1 is about the same rpm as the 4 cycle engines so its probably the same other than offset could be different. The old clutch you can't get any parts for they stopped making them in the 80s iirc. My 94c is for an ezgo it has the ribbed cover some have the smooth cover (the cover not in your photo). The pucks and springs are different for each type in case you ever need to change them. Should put the dust cover on it as dust will make the pucks wear out faster. Mine uses a puller to come apart, then it presses together when installed. The same puller removes it and can remove cover which sticks on when you take it off, or mine does.

You should be able to find 94C instructions online someplace that shows the pucks. Very common clutch in old 70s sleds. I had mine off there 20 times trying to tune it in better for my modded engine but you should not need to do that.
Thanks I got the clutch in but that cover thing is not going to fit how important is it?

Tags
yamaha g1 clutch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps