lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Transaxle Governor

So I swapped in my Predator 670cc into my 2004 Club Car Carryall 472. The cart runs great and clutches seem to be operating as they should. The motor pulls to 4000 RPMs but the cart is still under 20 mile an hour on 25 inch tires. The one thing I am not sure of is the transaxle governor. This was unhooked when I got the cart. Just an arm hooked to nothing as the cart was engine-less when I picked it up. Any advice on what to do with it as it’s not hooked up but seems to possibly be limiting my groundspeed? Could this limit my ground speed?
culli292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2022, 01:00 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Transaxle Governor

If it's not hooked up to the carburetor it's not affecting your speed.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:35 PM   #3
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Interesting. Based on the 670 motor running great and revving up to 4,000 perhaps my clutch setup is less than ideal? I’m running 25” tires so I thought I’d have some decent speed. I’m running stock clutches with Gboost power springs. I thought I read somewhere that the transaxle governor could reduce ground speed some way. Sounds like this is not the case?
Old 07-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Are you using reverse as forward or the PTO off the flywheel ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Vegas carts adapter. Running their 15/16” width belt. Anyone thing a wider belt would perform better? Forward is still forward. After another test run my clutches don’t seem to be opening all the way and likely the issue. Any recommendation where to get a clutch package kit? Looking for both clutches and waiting on Vegas carts to reply to see if they have a package. Their site only lists a Comet drive clutch for the 15/16 belt setup so I need the driven clutch from another source at a minimum.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If your clutches aren't working correctly it can absolutly kill your speed and torque. With stock gearing at 4000 rpm you should be in the 25-27 mph range with big 25" tires, possibly approaching 30 mph. Every cart is different, but you should be doing better than 20 mph for sure. Basically, if you aren't getting "full shiftout" then you are stuck in "middle gear" so to speak.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #7
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Can anyone confirm the stock belt width on a 2003 Club Car CarryAll 472 with the FE400 engine and locking differential? That’s what these clutches are from so I’m curious as to what width belt I need?
Old 07-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

15/16" is a stock belt width.
Length changes based on the distance from clutch to clutch. Clutch to clutch distance needs to be adjustable by moving the engine forward or back to get the correct belt tension. Too close together and the belt will not pull down all the way into the secondary clutch. It may also chatter or skip on the clutches when first starting out or when trying to pull up a hill.
What belt did they send you? Does it have a part number or name brand on it?

At full speed your belt should be about 1/2 to 3/8" from the outer edge of the primary clutch and should be sitting all the way down near the bottom of the secondary. If the belt is too long it will not get to the bottom of the secondary and you will lose top end speed.
Conversely a belt that is too narrow will not get all the way to the outer edge of the primary clutch and you will also lose top end speed.

Governor on the transaxle is a centrifugal governor and has nothing to do with ratios or anything at all inside the axle. On the stock setup all it does is pull the throttle cable back.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:07 PM   #9
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

So just to provide an update my belt is definitely too short. I have a new, longer one in the mail and will see if that's the issue. Primary clutch seems to keep the belt about 3/4" from the edge at max opening.

I am looking at rear gears as a potential fix if the longer belt just won't improve top end. I have a Carryall 472 with the much wider rear end and a factory diff lock. Will the gears from a normal DS gas cart with the narrow rear rear end fit this cart? I really wish I could locate anyone that has done a swap in a 472. On carts plus website one reviewer said he installed the 8:1 gears in a 472 and was only running 19mph with a V twin swap. Is something about this rear end so different? Any 472 owners out there!?
Old 07-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #10
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Ordered 6:1 gears to be paired with the Predator 670 and 25" tires. I will report back when installed but probably not for a couple weeks due to upcoming work schedule.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!