lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
whitetail436
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default sheared bolt in the drive clutch

all the talk about machining clutches had me itching to get mine done. i talked to some people about making a puller and went ahead and did that. it was made from a 7/16" fine thread bolt drilled out with a punch in the hole that would fit all the way in. i tightened it down and then couldnt hold the clutch and turn the wrench. i tried an impact wrench and it would go to a point and not any further. i decided it was not worth breaking it so i would just remove my puller and leave it. as it started coming out it got hung. all of the sudden the bolt broke and now i have a big problem and need some help. can anyone tell me the best way to remove this bolt that is going to be ridiculously tight? i bought a exctractor and tried to drill out the hole but it just screwed up the drill bit. any help would be greatly appreciated. it is an 02 club car. thanks
whitetail436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: sheared bolt in the drive clutch

i hate to say this but at this point if the clutch is still on i think the 1st thing to do is yank the engine out so you can work on it with some room.........if the broken bolt is in that tight thats what i would do.......wouldn,t want to but it can get very frustrating...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
ViperTom
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

If the bolt is broken off flush you can try welding a nut on the stub and trying to spin it out.

If thats not an option then I would load the cart on a trailer and take it to a machine shop. Have them take a look at it to see if they can get the bolt out. Hopefully it can be done with the engine still in the cart.

Tom
ViperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that would be idea i was just thinking of the room you don,t have there in case you have to weld a nut on the end or something else drastic, i know its a few more hours work but with the clutch still on your just so limited on what tools you can and can not use.................................
Old 04-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
whitetail436
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

well i figured i would give you guys the update. a carbide tip drill bit ate away at the punch for a while then i used a rotary tool with a round grooved bit. about three hours and some back pain later i got the punch out. i did screw up the beginning threads so i will have to drill and retap. i appreciate the help. i was beginning to wonder if it would ever come out. when i finally got it out i threw that sucker across the shop.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Goat53
Gone Wild

The clutch itself can be retapped , I had one on an ezgo that had 1" threads in the clutch , so the threads in the clutch tho important they can be replaced , spray it down good with a good penetrating oil , and
get a bigger eze out . I would stay away from a torch as you may mess up the seal on tha shaft behind the clutch .
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
whitetail436
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

oh i forgot to mention i got the bolt out as well. just wondering if i should use fine thread again when i retap as it was a 7/16 fine thread to start with. i know i have a 1/2 fine thread at work.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

as long as it will tighten back up i would stay with what came out unless your forced to go another way..........good deal on getting it out i have a bad back so theres no way i could have put 3 hours into bending over like that......for me it would be easier to have yanked the engine and put it on a bench............glad to hear it worked out.....................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car