lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Dsiekman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Hot battery cable

I went for maybe a five minute ride this afternoon. Granted, there were some hills and I was all the way into the throttle. That said, when I parked it I thought I'd check the batteries since it was a bumpy ride. Most were just slightly warm to the touch. One cable, however, was significantly warmer. This was were I had a stud melt off a few weeks ago. So...could I have a bad cable? If the cable from controller to motor is 6g, these are at least 4, maybe 2. I want to upgrade everything, just not right now. I hate to buy a custom set of cables if they're not going to work with a new controller. Any thoughts?
Dsiekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hot battery cable

This thread should help you.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ar-2002ds.html

Unless you're going from 36 to 48v, you shouldn't have any issues with getting new cables now, then getting a different controller later.

Check out the website below, then email Scotty with any questions.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
hunt365
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

In a previous post, you mentioned the cables were crispy for lack of a better term. Have you replaced them since then? One cable significantly hotter than the others indicates a problem. If you don't want to replace all of the cables, I would at least replace the one in question.
hunt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Dsiekman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt365 View Post
In a previous post, you mentioned the cables were crispy for lack of a better term. Have you replaced them since then? One cable significantly hotter than the others indicates a problem. If you don't want to replace all of the cables, I would at least replace the one in question.
You are correct, and no, I have not. I guess I should just bite the bullet and go 2g and then have Scotty just make up new cables where they will be needed for the controller upgrade when I get there.
Dsiekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
hunt365
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

one problem with 2 ga. cables and the stock controller is the cover. It's really tight even with stock cables. Which wire is getting hot? You probably could replace it and get by untill your ready to upgrade your controller. Either way you decide to go, I'd definitely get that cable replaced before using the cart. Don't want to ruin those new batteries.
hunt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Forget about the controller cover. You can trim it to fit the new cables, or just leave it off. Once you upgrade controllers, you will never use the cover again.

Upgrade the cables, before you not only fry another battery, but possibly worse.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
toxicwaste29
Gone Wild
Club Car

You can ohm test that cable to see if its bad. Most good cables come in at around 0.4 anything much larger Id say its just a bad cable.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:32 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

"Ohm testing" doesn't tell you what's happening with hundreds of amps traveling through the cable and both terminals.

If it fails, it's definitely bad. If it passes, could still be bad. With hundreds of strands in a typical cable, only one good strand will pass with flying colors. Try passing several hundred amps through one strand.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO