lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Anthen27
Not Yet Wild

Default buying a used DS decision?

I have a choice between 2 really clean DS karts...... a 2000 model with 2007 trojan batteries for $1200 or a 2005 DS IQ? with 2005 trojan batteries for $1600 what is the better choice? obviously the 05' will need batteries soon? what is the IQ function? just a programable electronic speed controller? both are 48 volts, what are the 2000-2005 model changes besides the seat and roof? and difference if I decide to modify/lift/motor? any input is much appreciated........Thanks!
Anthen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: buying a used DS decision?

In my opinion if you are looking to modify later on I would stay away from the IQ ( F&R rocker switch below right leg ) for several reasons. One is that controller does F&R function internally and there is no way to make them HD like manual F&R can? Tow you will get much better results from a series motor model ( F&R lever below right leg ) and parts are cheaper to do repairs and up dates. With a series motor cart you dont have to get a dealer ( $100-$150? or more ) or someone to change settings on controller as its set for MAX from factory.The IQ function is to recharge batterys when you are going down hill which in my area is impossible as we have no hills? IQ does also help with braking as it has a sensor that slows motor down automatically when pedal position and motor speed sensor ( most owners end up disabling or unhooking sensor anyway to get more speed and power so then you loose braking and recharge capability anyway ) indicate need. The IQ requires an additional solenoid and resistor to turn functions on and off. Main thing with any cart is batterys dont go with ANY cart with 12 volt batterys and get newest dated batterys possible. I would check date code to see that all batterys were built in same month or close. Lots of golf courses change batterys around and you may find all different months and even years?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

IQ all the way.... Newer, faster, smoother operating, and much cheaper to get decent speed.

OLD MEC.... FYI... IQ cars do not require an additional solenoid. There's only one. An IQ controller is actually only about 50 dollars more than a standard series controller so the repair costs don't really differ much at all. Not to mention, most dealers have good used ones laying around in big piles due to people upgrading to larger ones. The speed sensor can not be unhooked with any positive results on an IQ car.. It defaults to 8 MPH when it's unhooked. An IQ does not recharge the battery pack. Club Car eliminated that system in 2001 when they quit making the RegenII. I do however agree with you that you can get better performance from a series motor, but at the price of around 1000 dollars or more from a motor/controller upgrade... In stock form, an IQ will smoke a series car.

Anthen27, OLD MEC is correct about staying away from the 12Volt batteries if possible. However, the 2005 DS will be equipped with 8 Volts so you're good to go.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Anthen27
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys.....please keep the replies coming, I am going Monday to pick one of them up........anything else common I should look for?.......I already own a 05' Precident gas that I really like........
Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Anthen27
Not Yet Wild

Quick story.......a local guy on CL had a green 97' DS in a little rough shape used at a local youth athletic facility (marking paint all over seats body etc from grass field painting) some scuffs/scratches/dings, the steering was a little strange that it turned left in large circle and right circle was much smaller, Orange light on dash was on? had 03' batteries that were obviously shot. so anyway he agreed to $600 from $800 we discussed earlier on the phone which was a fair deal so I thought (I screwed up and didn't bring a trailer with me that night when I went to look at it) but the seller changed his mind the next day and said he wanted more money for the cart.....I even offered him $650 on his voice mail but no return call, so maybe I am better off buying a newer year/model DS? also has anyone used US batteries? I am looking at the US8VGC 8v (170 AH) when I need replacements any good sources/dealers for US batteries around the NY or PA area?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tahoedawg-- In many cases I have to go by what I hear from cart owners and dealers mechanics about later model ( mid 2000 and up carts ) as I am unable to get down and under anymore at my age?? I'm sure you are correct on the issues with IQ as I dont get exposed to work on many late models and especially NOT IQ's nor Precedents? After fighting the old many named many variations of regen, power drives, sepex, IQ etc models for years I'm sure I have a bias against IQ etc that will be hard to shake off? I know they are the future of carting or they wouldn't be making them? but old ways die hard? I have seen a 2001-2003??IQ's with extra solenoid and resistor so assumed still being used on later models as well "there I go assuming again you know the story about assume" Well I do have a 2005 DS IQ in our park purchased new that dealer said he unhooked speed sensor on motor when owner complained to "GIVE OWNER MORE SPEED AND POWER" as owner recently had cart lifted with 8" long travel and added 23" tires and rear seat with flat bed and HD springs and lost much of his power and speed? I dont know if dealer changed anything else as he only took about 10 minutes under cart at that time but owner then complained after that he lost slow down feature and I assumed regen as well because isn't that the way you get brake type action, OR is it just cutting power from controller to motor since you say 2001? I am going to ask owner to see if maybe dealer added one of the speed sensor cheaters that I have seen on EBAY or just did unhook wiring to speed sensor as he told owner? Speed went from about 18mph to 23 mph ( he had dealer set controller to highest 4? setting when lift and tires etc were installed and before doing whatever to speed sensor ) and torque is much better so owner says? Owner is considering going with disc brakes all around as he doesn't feel safe with present stopping power? I do agree that the IQ does have more STOCK speed than a series motor but its also a little higher HP ( not sure but 2005 owner says his is 3.5 hp "as he thought of going with higher HP motor and dealer said sensor fix would make up some difference and be cheaper" and some of the series motors I have seen on later models are around 3 hp )?
I am sure that you must agree that without changing controllers to higher amp ratings that you dont get a heavier duty internal F&R control that otherwise could be done much cheaper with external series lever type? Here near ocean and brush country the carts that play on the sand dunes and in brush country found real quick that without HD wiring and F&R's soon get burned up? A F&R series type can be home ( shade tree ) repaired for about $3-$5 worth of HD brass flat stock, while a controller costs $$$$$$$$$ to do same thing.
I had just mentioned in passing that 12 volt batterys in any cart are not something anyone needs to purchase.
ANTHEN27 did you check the stickies above for subject "Golf Cart Battery Comparison" and also I found a reference in Trojan Battery literature showing following that I think means it's 2 top compeditors may be US and Crown Batterys???
Trojan Model T875 battery Run Time of 120 Minutes with 400-450 cycles
US Battery Model 8V XC battery Run Time 70 Minutes at 350-400 cycles
Crown Model CR 165 battery Run Time 65 Minutes at 250 cycles
Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Tahoedawg-- In many cases I have to go by what I hear from cart owners and dealers mechanics about later model ( mid 2000 and up carts ) as I am unable to get down and under anymore at my age?? I'm sure you are correct on the issues with IQ as I dont get exposed to work on many late models and especially NOT IQ's nor Precedents? After fighting the old many named many variations of regen, power drives, sepex, IQ etc models for years I'm sure I have a bias against IQ etc that will be hard to shake off? I know they are the future of carting or they wouldn't be making them? but old ways die hard? I have seen a 2001-2003??IQ's with extra solenoid and resistor so assumed still being used on later models as well "there I go assuming again you know the story about assume" Well I do have a 2005 DS IQ in our park purchased new that dealer said he unhooked speed sensor on motor when owner complained to "GIVE OWNER MORE SPEED AND POWER" as owner recently had cart lifted with 8" long travel and added 23" tires and rear seat with flat bed and HD springs and lost much of his power and speed? I dont know if dealer changed anything else as he only took about 10 minutes under cart at that time but owner then complained after that he lost slow down feature and I assumed regen as well because isn't that the way you get brake type action, OR is it just cutting power from controller to motor since you say 2001? I am going to ask owner to see if maybe dealer added one of the speed sensor cheaters that I have seen on EBAY or just did unhook wiring to speed sensor as he told owner? Speed went from about 18mph to 23 mph ( he had dealer set controller to highest 4? setting when lift and tires etc were installed and before doing whatever to speed sensor ) and torque is much better so owner says? Owner is considering going with disc brakes all around as he doesn't feel safe with present stopping power? I do agree that the IQ does have more STOCK speed than a series motor but its also a little higher HP ( not sure but 2005 owner says his is 3.5 hp "as he thought of going with higher HP motor and dealer said sensor fix would make up some difference and be cheaper" and some of the series motors I have seen on later models are around 3 hp )?
I am sure that you must agree that without changing controllers to higher amp ratings that you dont get a heavier duty internal F&R control that otherwise could be done much cheaper with external series lever type? Here near ocean and brush country the carts that play on the sand dunes and in brush country found real quick that without HD wiring and F&R's soon get burned up? A F&R series type can be home ( shade tree ) repaired for about $3-$5 worth of HD brass flat stock, while a controller costs $$$$$$$$$ to do same thing.
I understand your preference, however, an IQ car was never equipped with more than one solenoid. The car with two solenoids that you saw was a 98-2000 RegenII. 2001 RegenII cars were only one solenoid as well... Club Car eliminated the Dynamic Braking solenoid in 2001 because it didn't pump enough juice into the battery pack to make it worth having. It was, in my opinion, the second worst system they've ever had, next to the RegenI system, it was truly pathetic. All of the issues have been removed with the IQ system. You're correct about the HP ratings of the series cars vs. the IQ... The standard series motor is 3.1HP while the IQ is 3.2... not really enough to write home about... However, the upgraded series cars with the 3.75HP motor and 300A controller are a little faster, but still just a tick slower than a base IQ car. Upgraded F&R switches are definitely a good thing to have on a series car, but it's completely unnecessary on an IQ. It's all done internally in the controller as you mentioned, and in the IQ car's 9 years of existence, I've never seen that circuit melt, burn up, or anything of that nature due to overheating or too much load. It's really well engineered. The dealer you mentioned who claims he unplugged the speed sensor for more speed is incorrect. He's either lying, or he doesn't know what system he has. An IQ system will not, under any circumstances, gain speed by unplugging the speed sensor. It's highly dependent on recognizing it in the system, and if it doesn't see it, it defaults to 8MPH with no regen braking. One of the half/pulse magnets may have been a possibility, but I assure you that if the speed increased, the sensor is still plugged in.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks TahoeDawg for correcting my thinking and wrong steering by other dealers mechanics and owners about different items. In my old fashioned way I will stick with series carts and let the young ones go modern with IQ's. I wonder what motors and controls are used in racing carts? I know some are AC's but I dont think all are, must do some checking.
Thanks again TahoeDawg I trust your answers above all others as you are in the forefront of Club Cars knowledge.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
ssdane
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree with T-Dog, and think you will be more satisfied in the future with IQ system. On speed code 4 with properly inflated tires and good batteries, it should gps at 19.6 or 19.7 mph, and imo that is good without having to change controller, cables etc. Good Luck!
ssdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Thanks TahoeDawg for correcting my thinking and wrong steering by other dealers mechanics and owners about different items. In my old fashioned way I will stick with series carts and let the young ones go modern with IQ's. I wonder what motors and controls are used in racing carts? I know some are AC's but I dont think all are, must do some checking.
Thanks again TahoeDawg I trust your answers above all others as you are in the forefront of Club Cars knowledge.
Most of the racing carts I've seen are high powered series systems with a big solenoid style contactor used to switch polarity instead of the manual F&R switch. To the naked eye, it appears to have a regen or IQ F&R switch but it's actually controlling the contactor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car