lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2000 DS Regen charger cycles off and on continuously

Hi everyone,
I have a 2000 48v DS Regen with new Trojan batteries. Recently I've noticed that the charger is cycling on and off thtoughout the entire charging cycle. It is charging the batteries eventually but is taking much longer than it used to. If I leave the charger plugged in it will continue to cycle on and off indefinitely, beyond the maximum (15 hours I beleive). Has anyone experienced this, or have any idea which component (charger, OBC, other) needs attention? Thanks for your help!
Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 DS Regen charger cycles off and on continuously

Does it cut on and off a lot or just everynow and then?
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When I first put it on the charger, the amps go to 15 and stay there for about 30 seconds, then the charger shuts off for about 3-4 seconds, then it goes on again for another 30 seconds, and so on. After it has been on the charger for 15 hours or so, it cycles on for 10 seconds, amps start at 5 and drop to .5 in about 8 seconds, then it shuts off for about two minutes. Battery voltage is a bit off after charging too. From positive side to negative, they have a charge of 9.27, 9.30, 9.31, 9.31, 9.33 and 9.35. The betteries are a couple months old and were all 9.33 or so when new. Would an OBC reset be worth a try? I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is supposed to shut off a little bit after plug in,Its the obc doing a system check.Every now and then it will do it during the charge cycle also.Sounds to me like everything is working ok.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

No, its not supposed to come on for 30 seconds then off 3 to 4 then another 30 seconds repeatedly for 15 hours.

Check all your connections first, the charge plug and receptacle then do an OBC reset and see if it charges normally
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

If it's a 48 Volt it needs at least 36 Volts across all batteries to keep it engaged after the first 30 second test. If it were less than 36 Volts then it should just shut off and stay this way. Do what roady says check/tighten , check for voltage 36 or greater . If voltage is low charge the batteries a little with a standard battery charger , then try again. If the batteries are above 36 Volts and it still does it , follow the instructions for the OBC reset.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I don't know alot about the charger but in the general area of electronics sounds like maybe a weak relay in the charger heating up and kicking off until it cools?
Could you borrow a friends charger to try?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
I don't know alot about the charger but in the general area of electronics sounds like maybe a weak relay in the charger heating up and kicking off until it cools?
Could you borrow a friends charger to try?
Good Idea crash, or loan yours to a friend for testing ?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the suggestions. The cart is 100 miles away at the moment so I'll check it next weekend. I think the voltage is OK across all the batteries assuming adding up the individual battery voltages will give the same reult as measuring them in series, which I didn't do. I will check the connections, and try to find another charger I can use to determine if it's the cart or the charger. I'll post back when I have more information. Again, thanks for the advice
Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Always measure ALL in series , then you will also know if you have a cable problem :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car