lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Cheese123
Not Yet Wild

Default New Alltrax Controller and Solenoid?

I have an 05 precedent. Just took plunge and upgraded to 8 volt batts with 12 volt to 8 volt conversion. Took this time to also upgrade to alltrax 500 controller and MZJ-400 solenoid (with resistor and diode).

So here is my question. When wiring to solenoid there is blue/white wire and blue wire to solenoid (from brand new wiring harness from kit) which instructions state polarity doesnt matter. But if i wire in one way then solenoid activates when key is turned on, if wires switched the other way it doesnt activate at all when pedal pressed??? I dont want the solenoid on all the time do I?

Now, a little background to see if it helps. When I first wired everything together the solenoid seemed to work correctly (clicked on with pedal press). BUT forward and reverse were backward. I went back and checked my motor wires and s1/s2 were switched according to wiring diagram (but that was the way wires were on motor before I did anything cuz I wrote colors on motor to be sure). So I switched to "correct" way via diagram and now forward and reverse are correct, but I cant get solenoid to act right. I have band on diode to battery side and resistor across big bolts.
Cheese123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New Alltrax Controller and Solenoid?

I am going to last part of post first "I checked my motor wires and S1/S2 were switched according to wiring diagram" You must mean I hope F-1 and F-2 posts on motor as ( S-1 and S-2 ) is a series motor not used on IQ Precedents?
Back to first part of your post I am happy to see that you made the change to 8 volt batterys and am sure you will be happy with results once you solve problems.
Did you order a controller for a IQ 2005 Precedent in ALLTRAX in DCX 500 model?
No you do not want solenoid on all the time as this would not be proper wired.
Sorry I dont have wiring diagram for a 2005 Precedent so can not confirm wiring color codes? As long as you have band on diode in correct direction ( Battery plus side ) which way wiring goes is not important AS LONG AS COMBO OF WIRING IS CORRECT.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Cheese123
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I was wrong it was f1/f2.

the wires were switch originally on my cart(meaning the colors of the wires were wrong, but they went to the right places). but when I plugged into new controller because colors were backwards I flipped them when first hooked up. Now that everything goes were it is supposed to, the controller grounds out the solenoid as soon as key and tow switch on, even if foot pedal not depressed.

Thanks for help OLD MEC!! I have checked my new wiring harness and its seems fine (48 volts goes where and when its supposed to and no grounding), but controller is grounding out solenoid. I have email sent into alltrax help desk. I will try to call tomorrow, but 8-5 job makes that phone call hard. I hope I dont have to RMA, I really wanted to finish this by this weekend!

The 8 volt conversion was not too bad, but with new solenoid, controller, lights, lift kit, battery cables, and radio upgrade Im feeling a bit down about finishing in what my wife would consider a timely matter
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tell headquarters ( wife ) that next time she can do the work all by herself.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Go back and look at the diagram / Instructions , Or copy and post here.

I believe the resistor should be across the large lugs BUT
the Diode should be across the small lugs (only 3 amp rated) BUT I'm not sure of the orientation of the stripe.

OM can U confirm ???
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Cheese123
Not Yet Wild

Gleemo you are correct.

band on diode to battery side (or side that get +48volts when key turned on)
resistor across bigs

My controller is bad. gonna have to send back

It is contantly grounding out solenoid even when foot pedal not depressed or even connected. grrrr

disappointed, but oh well, gonna hook old controller back up and just finish other upgrades and wait to see what alltrax does. kinda took the wind outta my sails though!

thought about hooking up old solenoid to constant ground from new controller and then hook positive side from foot switch to coil on old solenoid that would send ground to new solenoid only when pedal depressed, but after spending all this money, kinda dont want to have temporary fix
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just to confirm GLEEMO the diode goes across small terminals on solenoid and band toward the ( Key switch ) plus side. The Pre Charge resistor is mounted across both large posts on solenoid.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese123 View Post
I have an 05 precedent. Just took plunge and upgraded to 8 volt batts with 12 volt to 8 volt conversion. Took this time to also upgrade to alltrax 500 controller and MZJ-400 solenoid (with resistor and diode).

So here is my question. When wiring to solenoid there is blue/white wire and blue wire to solenoid (from brand new wiring harness from kit) which instructions state polarity doesnt matter. But if i wire in one way then solenoid activates when key is turned on, if wires switched the other way it doesnt activate at all when pedal pressed??? I dont want the solenoid on all the time do I?

Now, a little background to see if it helps. When I first wired everything together the solenoid seemed to work correctly (clicked on with pedal press). BUT forward and reverse were backward. I went back and checked my motor wires and s1/s2 were switched according to wiring diagram (but that was the way wires were on motor before I did anything cuz I wrote colors on motor to be sure). So I switched to "correct" way via diagram and now forward and reverse are correct, but I cant get solenoid to act right. I have band on diode to battery side and resistor across big bolts.
OK here is where I went off, I read this as
I have Diode Band to Battery side AND resistor across big Bolts(sounded as though they were both across big bolts , since one side of the solenoid goes to the batteries).
Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Ah, the subtle nuances of our own language....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Ah, the subtle nuances of our own language....
.............. Thats what I thought exactly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car