lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery break in

I have read all the articles about breaking in new batteries. Charging before use and letting the charger run until it shuts off. BUT what do you do if you have a timer charger and not an automatic? And how often and how long do you set the timer for? I don`t want to over charge and to not under charge either!!

Thanks

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery break in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
I have read all the articles about breaking in new batteries. Charging before use and letting the charger run until it shuts off. BUT what do you do if you have a timer charger and not an automatic? And how often and how long do you set the timer for? I don`t want to over charge and to not under charge either!!
I don't know a thing about timer type chargers but I think it would be a good investment to get an automatic charger to eliminate any guess work and maximize the life of your new batteries.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

How often to charger a cart's batteries is the easy question.
It's like flying a plane. Number of take-offs ought to equal number of landings.
Recharge batteries every time cart is used.
If cart isn't being used, charge batteries at least once a month, preferably more often.
In a nutshell, the higher the average State of Charger you keep your batteries at, the longer they last.

How long to charge a battery with a manual charger gets a little complicated since "Fully" charged is when the on-charge voltage ceases to rise and the battery's State of Charge prior to being placed on charge determines how long it will take to reach the point where the on-charge voltage ceases to rise. (There are other factors in the mix, but as long as you are using same charger on the same battery pack, how empty the battery pack is, is the primary variable.)

Automatic 36V golf cart battery chargers typically shut off in the 44V-46V range, so monitor the on-charge voltage and terminate when it gets into that range.
You can go up to about 2.79V per cell without "Overcharging" a good battery, or about 50V for a 18 cell, 36V battery pack.

Here is a State of Charge chart, so you can determine % SoC prior to putting batteries on charge.
I'd start at about 3 hours of charge per 10% of discharge and adjust as needed for your specific batteries and charger.
(Note: Voltages listed on chart are taken after batteries have rested for 12 hours after being taken off charge)

Of course, investing in an automatic type charger, would be easier than figuring out how long to charge with a manual charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Somehow I knew that someone would say to invest in an automatic charger!! That will be down down the road, but for now all I have is the timer style and didn`t want to harm the batteries!!

CartTrader
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
Somehow I knew that someone would say to invest in an automatic charger!! That will be down down the road, but for now all I have is the timer style and didn`t want to harm the batteries!!

CartTrader
Just keep an eye on the On-Charge voltage and don't let it climb above 50V, which will take many hours.
Undercharging will probably be more of an issue than overcharging.

What charger do you have? (Picture of faceplate will probably suffice)

Some of them can be upgraded to an automatic type charger just by adding a control board (About $120 retail, can be found for less) and a little re-routing of wires.

In essence, the AC power to the transformer primary goes through the relay on the control board instead of the timer and the sense leads from the control board have to be attached to B+ and B- on the charger output.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a photo of the charger. I noticed it was made in 89 so its not what should of come with my golf cart. I`m not that familiar with Ezgo carts, my cart is a 95 Freedom. Also know where I could find a wiring diagram for the lights that come with the Freedom from Ezgo?

Thanks

CartTrader
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger.jpg (90.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The TC is a great charger. The addition of a TC III control board should be all you need!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Read the "Operating Instructions" printed on the faceplate.

The green-faced "Total Charge" IS an automatic charger.

The "Timer" in upper left corner performs Two functions.
1. It is an elapsed time indicator that tells you how long it took to charge the battery pack.
2. It is also a back-up or safety timer that shuts down charger if battery pack doesn't reach cut-off voltage within 12 hours.

Of course, a previous owner may have played some games with it.
Here is how to check to see if the control board is working.
With charger Unplugged from AC power, plug charger cable into cart.
After a few seconds delay, about 3-5 typically, you should hear a relay inside charger click.
If you do, the control board is sensing the battery pack.
If you don't, it is troubleshooting time.

Here is a wiring diagram and a picture of the control board side.
The relay is in the upper left and should have two wires attached. One from fuse block in foreground and other going to timer. (AC Wiring isn't right in picture because relay is bypassed)
The battery sense leads are the red and black wires in the upper right. The red wire goes to heatsink and black wire goes to ammeter.

-------------
Here is a accessory wiring diagram for a 94-96 Medalist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Total Charge - Green Face - Wiring Diagram.jpg (78.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Control Board - Fuse.jpg (39.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Medalist 94-96 accessory wiring.JPG (71.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well that does answer my next question. I have noticed when I plugged it into the cart, a click would be heard from the charger. Now that is with the charger plugged into the wall. I just went and checked. It also does it unplugged from the wall. Now that all being said. I still have to set the "timer" for a set amount of time before it will start charging. Are you saying that it will shut down prior to elapsed time on timer if batteries are up to shutoff voltage?

CartTrader
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes that is correct. I have one like this for my Marathon cart & I always set the timer for 12 hours.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO