lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default ez go dcs does nothing solenoid or controller?

hello.
I have a 36v ez go dcs cart. I am not sure of the model, but it has the tow reverse switch and the forward reverse switch is on the dash. It has 1 month old batteries and has never had an issue. It has a curtis controller with a solenoid that has a resistor. I made a stupid mistake and it is not running. I was tightening up the connections on the motor, and I touched the two contacts together. It sparked. Now I get nothing when I press the pedal. The solenoid does not click. I have bypassed the reed switch. On my controller there is no black wire. Is there any way I can check the controller? What controllers can I replace it with if it is bad? Thanks in advance for all of your help.
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ez go dcs does nothing solenoid or controller?

The controller test is in the email I responded to. You are right this is a PDS cart with the rocker F&R in the dash...
Trouble shoot the solenoid activation. The solenoid must activate before the controller powers up. When there is a short in this system the peddle box micro switch seems to be the weak link and burns out like a fuse.
follow this diagram to trouble shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo PDS solenoid activation diagram.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
georgia088
Gone Wild

Ok I have checked both. I checked the continuity of the pedal microswitch and it seems to be working. When i press the pedal it shows that the red and green wire are connecting. I also placed my voltmeter on from b- to m- and I get nothing at anytime, but the solenoid never clicks. Any more help would be GREATLY APRECIATED!!! I am also getting 38 volts to the micro switch on one side and 38 on the other when the pedal is pressed. THANKS!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid must click before any controller testing.
Follow the diagram to see where the 36v+ stops? or the 36v- stops on it's way to the solenoid activation terminals (they are the small ones)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
georgia088
Gone Wild

ok I have by passed the reed switch. I have checked the pedal micro switch and it is good. I have checked the ignition switch and it is good. However, I have 36+ coming out of both of the activation terminals on the solenoid. the blue wire is hot as well as the yellow. Looking at the diagram it doesn't look like that should be right, but I don't know what that means. lol Any ideas? Thanks again for all of the help!!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
georgia088
Gone Wild

I do not have 36 volts when i put the tester probes on the two small terminals. I get 36 volts when I test each one of them individually with the negative probe touching the negative port on the battery. I also have 36 volts on both sides of the large posts of the solenoid. I went through your posts and have checked the solenoid by removing the controller side cables and testing the large posts. But when I remove the controller side cables and then I check it I do not read 36v. When I connect them back I do.

I have 36 volts to both the yellow and blue wires that go from the controller to the activation terminals on the solenoid. I don't know what this means though!??!?! Any ideas??? I am obviously a dummy!!!! Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia088 View Post
...............I have 36 volts to both the yellow and blue wires that go from the controller to the activation terminals on the solenoid. I don't know what this means though!??!?! Any ideas??? I am obviously a dummy!!!! Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!
Having B+ on both Yellow and Blue wires is normal. It simply means that B+ is being applied via the Yellow wire from the controller and that the solenoid coil is good, or at least has continuity.

The PDS solenoid activation circuit is different from all others.
(Or at least PDS carts using a Curtis 1206MX controller, I'm not sure on the PDS II and other Sepex systems)

The Yellow wire has B+ whenever Run/Tow switch is in Run.
The controller applies B- via the Blue wire (activating solenoid) when certain conditions are met.
One set of conditions is:
Reed switch - closed
Key switch - ON
F or R selected
Pedal pushed

Another set of conditions is when, the cart is pushed or towed at greater than 2MPH while the Run/Tow switch is in Run.

Other sets are whenever one or more of the regen braking criteria is met.

Quick and dirty test.
Push cart faster than 2MPH:
Beeper should go hog wild, solenoid should click and strong regen braking should occur.
If it doesn't, the controller is probably bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We talked on the phone and I'm certain he has lost the - side of the solenoid activation thru the controller pin 6
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
vibeguy
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys, I was reading this thread and although its sorta out of date,, was just wondering what the fix was..? As I have a very similar problem with pin 6 not grounding on my EZ GO 2001 PDS cart. Replaced ITS, solenoid, ohmed reed-FWD & REV and key switch,,, even tried another controller still get a High Pedal Disable...? Have noted approx 15 vdc on J4 pin 4 and with plug in harness and all conections made have noticed that J 4 pin 3 never drops to 1 vdc +/- .5 vdc as noted in the foot pedal set up and adjustment from the service and repair manual... Any ideas..? Thanks JB

Last edited by vibeguy; 04-02-2013 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: left out a small detail..
vibeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Pedal microswitch is never opening or the ITS plunger is not adjusted properly.
I'm not sure which one, but either J4 Pin-1 or Pin-2 should drop to Zero when pedal is up.
If not, you while get the High-Pedal fault.

Also, the plunger must come all of the way out of the ITS sensor coil when pedal is up.
Otherwise, you get the High-Pedal fault.

You say that the voltage on J4 Pin-3 never drops to ~1.0V, so that is going to give you a High-Pedal fault and the controller won't activate the solenoid.

Looks like you've found at least one problem that is preventing the controller from activating the solenoid.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller issues, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO