lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Elec - 36v-12v reducer and accessories

Ok, I think I'm on the right track.

I purchased....
36V-48V to 12V 30amp reducer.
3405281 Relay to switch off the reducer.
6 position fuse block.
Rocker toggle switch (underbody lights)
Cigarette lighter
Oh and some pods for my 6.5" speakers!

Now here are a couple questions since I'm a newbie!!

1. I'm thinking of mount the fuse block inside the cup holder in the dash. Thoughts?

2. There is a negative coming off the reducer correct? I've watched the videos on youtube but it doesn't show connecting accessories. Do I connect radio, under glow and cigarette lighter to that negative or is it best to connect straight to the negative post on the batteries? Or does it matter?

3. I hear people talking about grounding blocks. Can someone clue me in on what it is (pic) and is that something I can run up to the dash as well?

My end goal with the fuse block and ground under dash is to have few wires running up under/routed back under the seat.
ddeblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
4. Here is a drawing showing the difference.

5. Like I said before, add up the number of amps each accessory uses.
The 12V converter will have to supply that number, or more.

JonnieB,
I do have the switch w/ lights. I've been installing the stereo/speakers, converter, running wires and such. I need to know where to connect the stereos 12v switched power on the key switch.
Can you help? I'm checking with a meter and I see the main 12v power to the switch. Turn the switch one notch and not difference. Turn it to lights on and I see the lights 12v power.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeblance View Post
JonnieB,
I do have the switch w/ lights. I've been installing the stereo/speakers, converter, running wires and such. I need to know where to connect the stereos 12v switched power on the key switch.
Can you help? I'm checking with a meter and I see the main 12v power to the switch. Turn the switch one notch and not difference. Turn it to lights on and I see the lights 12v power.
I'm afraid the only time the switched 12V is on, is when the keyswitch is in the "Lights" position.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeblance View Post
Ok, I think I'm on the right track.

I purchased....
36V-48V to 12V 30amp reducer.
3405281 Relay to switch off the reducer.
6 position fuse block.
Rocker toggle switch (underbody lights)
Cigarette lighter
Oh and some pods for my 6.5" speakers!

Now here are a couple questions since I'm a newbie!!

1. I'm thinking of mount the fuse block inside the cup holder in the dash. Thoughts?

2. There is a negative coming off the reducer correct? I've watched the videos on youtube but it doesn't show connecting accessories. Do I connect radio, under glow and cigarette lighter to that negative or is it best to connect straight to the negative post on the batteries? Or does it matter?

3. I hear people talking about grounding blocks. Can someone clue me in on what it is (pic) and is that something I can run up to the dash as well?

My end goal with the fuse block and ground under dash is to have few wires running up under/routed back under the seat.

If your running power + for your accessories off of the converter, those same accessories ground - wires should run back to the converter.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Confused as HELL!

Converter is 36v-48v to 12v with switch.

Four wires.
* Red lead to + closest to controller
* Black lead to - closest to controller
* Yellow to toggle switch connected to 12v source to power on converter.
* Green wire I have capped until I know it is producing 12v.

** Also, inline fuse on the red wire with a 20amp fuse installed as shown on the schematics that came with the converter. ***

Here's the deal....
I connect the meter red - green wire, black - ground block, flip toggle switch on, converter kicks on and the number start going up, but it stops at 0.52.
I check the meter on a battery and I get 6.80. Meter is working.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
TheAspec
Gone Wild

Do you have the yellow wire connected? If it's a ForePar reducer you need the yellow wire connected as this is your "remote on" to the reducer. Without voltage on this wire the reducer would produce results you are seeing, at least it did on mine before I connected the yellow wire to switched power. Tell us what brand/model reducer you have and we can help better.
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, this is the Fore-Par 3-498E.

I have the yellow wire ran to a toggle switch in the dash which is connected to a 12v source.
The schematics show the switch yellow wire running back to the 36v-48v batteries. Does it need that much to switch the converter on?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
TheAspec
Gone Wild

I have the same reducer -- my yellow wire is on 48 volts switched power (I have an RXV) but yes, put your yellow on switched 36 volt power and you'll be in business. To test/verify the reducer is working properly just run the yellow wire to the same pack positive as your red wire is now, check output on green wire and you should be in business. Once you test/verify find 36 volt switched for your yellow wire.

Let us know if this solves your problem.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice.... Ok, I'll give that a try.

Another question. What are you using as a switch to turn the converter on and off? I doubt the toggle will handle the 36v....
Old 10-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
TheAspec
Gone Wild

A wire I found in the key switch. I ran my black MM wire to pack negative and hunted around with red MM wire until I found a wire with 48 volts only present if the key was in the F-N-R position. I know there is a 36 volt only on with key in your model too, I just don't recall the wire color.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO