lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
ba89
Not Yet Wild

Default clicking older style charger on an 05 36v

I have an 05 36 volt EZ Go Cart and as you can see I do a lot of stuff with it.Or maybe you can't I tried to post a link to the album. The batteries are 2 years old from Sam's .I've had it for about 3 years it was stock when I got it. I'm sure some of these answers are on the site somewhere but I'm having a hard time locating them. I have a speed chip in place and very big tires on it which can make it top out at 25 miles an hour . My question is about my older style txt charger. I bought it with this charger the total charge III guess whoever had it before switched the plug. It's making a clicking noise and it doesn't seem to want to charge my cart. I have had it open and cannot figure out what's wrong with it. Question 1 is can I just use a battery jump pack to charge up my golf cart just for a couple times. And also I see people selling a converted Stanley charger that you can buy for 100 bucks for 200 dollars as a golf cart charger what's the scoop on those. I have my lights hooked up to 2 batteries each with switches in the dash. 2 in front for the front lights 2 in the back to for the backlights. Could this be causing a problem. I actually unhooked them and tried to charge it without them hooked.I take decent care of my batteries but I have noticed a lot of corrosion. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the cheapest fix I've only got about 1600 dollars invested in this car with everything so I don't want to spend a whole lot. Thanks and I really enjoyed looking at the site.
ba89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: clicking older style charger on an 05 36v

Tapping into the battery pack for 12V accessories imbalances the pack and results in a shorter battery lifespan.
It is better to use a 36V to 12V converter and load the batteries equally.
Or install a separate 12V battery to power the accessories.

The relay in the charger clicking when it is plugged into the cart indicates the charger is sensing the battery pack, which is a good sign.
Does the transformer hum with the charger is plugged into the cart and into AC power?
If not, the internal fuse id blown, or the AC power cord is bad,, or the AC outlet is dead.

Here is a service manual for a TC-III
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCIII & IV Owner's - Parts - Service.pdf (3.28 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
ba89
Not Yet Wild

It begins to hum properly sometimes but moves to a constant click click click click right away. I basically just use the lights to get back if we are out after dark. I assumed it wasn't ideal to hook the lights to 2 batteries but I don't think that is causing the problem unless it has sucked one or more down to an unchargeable level. Guess in the future I will keep a 12v battery under the seat to power the lights and just charge it with my jump box every so often. or just use the jump box and keep it charged.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rapid cycling can be a sign of an intermittent charger connection. Plug the charger in and hold the plug in while lifting it up. If this stops the cycling then replace the receptacle contacts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
ba89
Not Yet Wild

on it thanks. they look worn down.could be the prob.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
ba89
Not Yet Wild

can only get it to click click click click and never moves to a hum. i will order some new connectors. in the mean time can i wrap the old ones in foil or take the plug apart and re-position them to make better contact. they look old and are split on the ends. also wondering if i should take apart the receptor on the cart and look for issues.like is there a way to bypass the connection between charger and cart and straight wire it temporarily. just seems like both cart and charger are working maybe they cant connect properly.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
ba89
Not Yet Wild

also read your tutorial on charging of batteries. trying not to run it down past 50% and charging daily sounds like the ticket for longer battery life. i used to wait until i thought it needed it more like making 2 or 3 trips to the club or school or baseball practice before charging. i always heard that on cordless power tools it was better to run them down all the way before bringing them back and i assumed carts as well. that is probably wrong also considering the idiots i hang with.........
Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
ba89
Not Yet Wild

looked on your site and ebay. where is the best place to get just the replacement for the worn connectors and replace them. seems like a new $80 plug and cord is the best anyone offers.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba89 View Post
can only get it to click click click click and never moves to a hum. i will order some new connectors. in the mean time can i wrap the old ones in foil or take the plug apart and re-position them to make better contact. they look old and are split on the ends. also wondering if i should take apart the receptor on the cart and look for issues.like is there a way to bypass the connection between charger and cart and straight wire it temporarily. just seems like both cart and charger are working maybe they cant connect properly.
The terminals in the receptacle are the ones that need to be replaced.

Can the connections be bypassed? Maybe.
Is it practical or safe? No.
Can a novice electrician do it? NO!

As stated in my previous post, if the transformer doesn't hum, look for a problem in the AC wiring to the transformer primary.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba89 View Post
also read your tutorial on charging of batteries. trying not to run it down past 50% and charging daily sounds like the ticket for longer battery life. i used to wait until i thought it needed it more like making 2 or 3 trips to the club or school or baseball practice before charging. i always heard that on cordless power tools it was better to run them down all the way before bringing them back and i assumed carts as well. that is probably wrong also considering the idiots i hang with.........
Lead-acid batteries have no memory and should be recharged after each use for maximum lifespan.

Follow each power tool manufacture's recommendation on battery charging for their products rather than hearsay, gossip, rumors and old wives tales.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO