lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Tennshooter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Voltage Reducer v. Aux Battery

I have a 2006 CC Precedent 48V. Currently the lights just run off of the main batteries. I want to install a radio and some LED lights (maybe some other accessories). Should I install a 48/12 reducer or go with a seperate aux battery? I like the idea of using a scooter battery for the aux batter which I have read about, as that would fit in the dash behind the console that I purchased but I have no idea what the pros and cons of either are. I am electronically illiterate so any ideas are welcomed (pics would would be great). Thanks.
Tennshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage Reducer v. Aux Battery

it can go either way, some like reducer some like aux battery. im a aux battery guy and added a 12 deep cycle marine battery . as far as batteries go it all about run time , the smaller the battery the less time you get (give or take). I had room under the seat after a little mod for the extra batt.

Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I have had reducers in the two carts I have owned, no worries about where to put extra battery, charging extra battery, etc.
But, don't use a 16-12 reducer, get a high amperage (30 amp) 48-12 reducer.
Scottyb sells a good one on his site:
cartsunlimited.net
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Like Swan says - either will work for you. I have the same cart as you and chose the aux battery. I'll post the pros and cons from my perspective but others will have different opinions.

Reducer Pros: No extra battery needed, draws off battery pack evenly while providing the proper voltage for accessories.

Reducer Cons: draws off battery pack reducing available juice to cart, needs to be able to be switched on or off so doesn't have 48v going to it when sitting as there have been stories of reducers burning down carts that were left alone. When turned off, can't provide constant low-amp power to radio to maintain presets and other settings.

Aux battery Pros: Gives dedicated 12v to power accessories independently from cart pack. Source of constant power so radio settings stay memorized.

Aux battery Cons: Finding somewhere to mount it, maintaining/charging

If you have 4 12v batteries in your 06 Precedent, as I do, you won't find a battery that will fit anywhere under the seat. Some use a scooter battery in the dash area. My cart, with a rear seat, created dead space in the bagwell under the seat, so I was able to fit a full size marine battery there and wired it directly to the controller so that my 12v source wiring behind the dash didn't have to be touched.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Tennshooter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

With either type of system, how do you hook up more than one accessory? Do I need to run them out of a fuse box with the main power going into the box? I assume headlights lights will work off of one toggle. LED off of another. Radio? Again I am electronically stupid ( but I am smart enough to let go if I get shocked).
Tennshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Tenn, you do it either way. You could run power to a fuse block, also very common around this forum, and run each accessory to the fuse block. Or you can run power directly to the accessories from the reducer or battery, just make sure to use inline fuses for each device.

On mine, I used the oem light kit that runs off battery 4 with a fused line going to the controller and then connecting the light kit harness behind the dash. I later added a stereo that has a fuse at the power inlet to the same wiring behind the dash. But after having my lights go dim and my radio cutting off when the pack got weak, I added the aux battery and ran powers and ground from that to the controller in place if what was coming from the pack. So I didn't have to wire anything directly to the new battery or change any wiring behind the dash. I am about to add a subwoofer and will be wiring the amp directly off the aux battery. But I bought a packaged amp wiring kit that came with a fused power wire.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car