lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid troubles

One possible cause could be a poor connection on the coil side of the solenoid. When the solenoid is first energized, there is a inrush of current into the coil, the current will then reduce as the plunger retreats into the coil. If the coil activation circuit cannot deliver enough current or there is enough voltage drop for the plunger to not completely retreat into the coil, excessive current could literately burn out the coil.
Make sure all connections on the activation circuit are good and tight.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is my SWAG.

There is a micro switch mounted on the throttle Its purpose is to activate the main solenoid. Make sure this sw is activated immediately upon pressing the throttle. If not the solenoid will be closing under load. This causes a big arc inside the sw (which you can't see) which eventually burns the switch open.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
goodoleboy80
Getting Wild
Club Car

Is there anything I will need to replace along with the solenoid so as not to damage anything else on the cart?
goodoleboy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
goodoleboy80
Getting Wild
Club Car

I just installed an hd solenoid, but golf cart still won't move. Batteries are charged. Is it possible to have wires backwards on solenoid?? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoleboy80 View Post
I have an '89 club car 36 volt with the v-glide and resister coils. It is stock with 18x8 off road tires. I use this for hunting. Here recently it has been going through solenoids. They have been stock replacements. I have used this cart for many years without this problem. What should I do? Will a hd solenoid solve this? If so what kind/how big?
In red above is why the stock 50a solenoid is failing..... excess amperage draw is causing more amperage to be drawn through it (than it was originally spec-ed for) which results in the internal components to heat up and heat is the killer of all electronics..... get a big solenoid and be done with part of the problem... I say part because the resistor coil cart will have a Vglide failure next in my experience.

EDIT-
Sorry didn't see your last post ..... yes you need + and - present at the 2 small terminals to activate the solenoid. use your meter and test between the 2 small terminals while pressing the gas - u should get pack voltage. If not, test one side at a time and see which one you are missing + or -.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
goodoleboy80
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks Scottyb I'm going to go check now
Old 12-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
goodoleboy80
Getting Wild
Club Car

Tried checking with no luck. Its not getting power through green wire from v-glide to solenoid. Is there a switch inside of it to replace? OR can I bypass it for a short while to get it moved out of way?

Last edited by goodoleboy80; 12-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: had another ???
Old 12-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

there is a micro switch in the V glide - if you bypass you run the risk of leaving the solenoid engaged over night etc which will shorten it's useful life considerably.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car