lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
impdaddy
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Ignore My Lighting Thread

I had a thread about lighting but that is moot now. Last weekend we had an ice-jam flood at the cabin (where the cart is). ended up with water 2.5 feet deepon the cart and the charger was totally submerged. Besides ****** any thoughts or suggestions?
impdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
pimpy1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ignore My Lighting Thread

Sorry about the flood. You might want to make a change.

pimpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the charger wasn't plugged in you might be able to dry it out.
We were able to save quite a bit of electronics at the Nissan dealership I worked in just by letting the parts dry out, even saltwater if we could rinse the part out within a few hours.
At one time I had about 8 ECUs that I had salvaged and used as test units
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry to hear that ImpDaddy. If it was fresh water, do what you can to dry it out and salvage. I've had several sensitive electronics in fresh water that were salvageable. Never tried salt, but you never know.

Good luck.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry to hear about your disaster! First, the batteries may have had water intrusion. Since floodwater is very silty, they may be junk. I'd take them and have them tested. The charger may be Ok, if it wasn't connected to the cart at the time of the flood. You can wash it out well with clean water and dry it for several days, either in the sun or better yet, with a small forced air electric space heater on a low setting. The controller, solenoid, and throttle sensor will most likely have to be replaced. The transaxle and motor will need to be separated, and cleaned thoroughly. The front hubs will need to be removed, cleaned, and repacked. The steering rack will need the same treatment.
You are in for a ton of work to repair this cart!!! Things will continue to fail (like brake cables) that can't really be cleaned out well. They will work for awhile, but the silt will grind the cable inside and it will fail eventually.
My advice is to see if you can get your homeowners insurance to cover the loss! If they do you may be able to recoup some of your loss by buying back the cart, and parting it out. It still has many good parts (body, frame,etc) that are saleable!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Get a big bag of rice and stuff what you can in it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
impdaddy
Gone Wild
Club Car

Silt is likely not a problem since it was in the garage. The charger was plugged in but presumably charge was complete. didn't get high enough to get into the batteries. lost mt furnace too and everthing is an ice cube right now. waiting for warm weather. Homeowners won't cover because it was a flood. just a PITA.
impdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've rescued a TON of electronics, even a cell phone that had to wait for the salt water high tide to recede. Even rescued one that went through the washing machine.

I always use distilled water, as the chlorine in tap water could do bad things. Dunno what affect fluoride has, but if you got a buggy, you should have distilled water anyway.

Rice works great, but I have a BIG bottle of desiccants found in most drug bottles. I generally use a blow drier, then desiccants.

Yes, I'm a hoarder.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I think you may have bigger problems than your cart. Sorry to hear about the flood.
And thanks yurtle never knew what they were called.
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Sorry to hear about the flood impdaddy. So how's that 40 m&p holding up?
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO