lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
ENC_CART
Not Yet Wild

Default First time Poster

Hey guys I have been creeping on this site for a couple of weeks now. I purchased a lift ez-go txt cart last year and planned on doing a complete rebuild but time slipped away. It is a complete lifted cart and I purchased it for $300. Man told me it ran the last time he had run it but would only run in reverse. Anyhow snatched it up brought it home and on the way home the batteries fell out the bottom. So I am now going to do a complete rebuild from the frame up. I already have an Alltrax 500amp controller, HD f/r switch and solenoid. My goal for this cart is to be my hunting buggy with a safari look. Plan on it being military green body and black everything else. My question is should I go ahead and make it 48V or keep it the 36V that it is? Need to know so I can plan on how I will rebuild the battery rack. What is going to be the best bang for the buck? I am not looking a fast cart I am wanting the extra torque for riding out in the woods when hunting. Thanks for everyone's help and I hope I can be a contributing member! Justin
ENC_CART is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: First time Poster

My vote=48v. Assuming the batteries are toast, the only thing you will have to purchase additionally to a 36v refurbishment is the charger. If you were to shop for a new cart you will find they are pretty much all 48v. Not a speed issue. They're more efficient.

I just finished converting to 48v. Should have done it years ago.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
My vote=48v. Assuming the batteries are toast, the only thing you will have to purchase additionally to a 36v refurbishment is the charger. If you were to shop for a new cart you will find they are pretty much all 48v. Not a speed issue. They're more efficient.

I just finished converting to 48v. Should have done it years ago.
X2. Good advice
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
ENC_CART
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input so far guys. Would I be better off to run 8- 6V batteries or 4- 12V's? Which and why is it the best. Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The ultimate setup would be 8-6v, but you can get by with 6-8v. 4-12v won't give you much range or run time. The 8-6v configuration will give you approximately 4.5 times the run time of 4-12v. The 4-12v will likely require replacement well before you would need to replace 8-6v or 6-8v. I think JohnnieB has some calculations showing how there really isn't much cost savings when you go with less batteries because you will need to replace them more often.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
ENC_CART
Not Yet Wild

I am thinking the 6- 8V may be better for me as I plan on having an extra 12V for "accessories"
Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Justin, considering what you use your cart for, its time to upgrade to 48v, you won't regret it.

OH and btw.....Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
ENC_CART
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sir Nuke, looks like you may have at least one of my poisons of choice in that frig. Once I start to get things rolling I will be posting up a build thread. I plan on having some custom pieces made for the cart as I have a cnc plasma cutting and a few metal fabrication skills. Justin
Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You will get about the same performance from a 6 X 8V battery pack as you will from an 8 X 6V battery pack, but not as much range (Run-Time) and it won't last as many years.

Attached is a list comparing various 48V packs. A 6 X 8V pack using 170AH batteries will have roughly the same range as the standard 6 x 6V 225AH 36V battery pack.

Whatever you decide on, get the highest AH batteries your budget allow at the best price you can find locally.

Don't forget to take pictures of your cart build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V kWh Comparisons.JPG (105.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
ENC_CART
Not Yet Wild

thanks JohnnieB I had already saved your 6v comparison and I looking for the 8v. Thanks for sharing it. I will have some pictures when I get the ball rolling a little faster. Thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO