lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
N2snow2
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha g16 won't climb

02 g16 7 inch jakes lift 23 inch tires won't climb hill I knew I would need something thought I could get by from what I read I need to replace rear sheave and spring and belt I see there are kits like jakes that come with one sheave and spring wouldn't I need to replace both rear sheaves if so we're do I find them I know plowmans has what I need and have talked with don but he needs to go over a punch list of things before he can sell me a kit but I'm disabled and spend a lot of my time outside in a scooter and walk with 2 canes and really don't want to waste his Time when it's gonna take me 3 times longer than someone that has full use of ther legs any one with an easy way would be helpful I have watched the videos I think I can do it but I'll have to have help getting on the ground and someone to help me up thanks......
N2snow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g16 won't climb

If I were closer I'd give you a hand. You might be ok with just a severe duty double cogged belt. It really depends on the condition of the drive & driven clutches. You really should inspect the ramp shoes and see what condition they're in. Without seeing your driven clutch it's hard to say what's up but I don't see why you would need a new fixed sheave. From what I've seen (and that's not a lot), I've never seen the fixed sheave wear out. I've had my sliding sheave explode with the white CPP spring so I changed it out to a U Max spring. You'll need a puller to get the clutch off. I made one.

New sliding sheave with U Max spring.

I have a stock height G16 that has no problems climbing. I also have a lift G8 that climbs somewhat slowly. I have a new severe duty belt and ramp shoes waiting to get installed on my G8 and that should help.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
N2snow2
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks dealer was suppose to rebuild the clutch last summer and I from my understanding everything else was good they didn't even have to put a new belt on we didn't really use it after that we started on lift with me and my younger son it's been a slow process it will pull a hill just slow with 2 people but 3 or 4 no way I knew I would have to change the spring and sheave I just thought I needed both sheaves most kits just have one should I order the jakes kit or the cpp. Kit thanks for the pics..
Old 06-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

I have no experience with the Jake's kit nor the CPP kit. The only thing that I used was the CPP white spring and I wouldn't exactly call that a "kit". I didn't really like the white spring. It seemed to jumpy to me. It felt jerky when I just barely applied any pedal. It definitely had torque...just wasn't smooth about it. Plus like I said the sliding sheave snapped into pieces and I'm pretty convinced the spring was the culprit. After that I put on the U Max spring and that has a nice smooth start and still has enough torque.

Maybe some body else will come along and weigh in on the Jake's vs. CPP kit.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
N2snow2
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the info I don't want to break anything I just want to try and do it right my kids don't understand why I didn't buy a side by side
Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

X2 on the U-Max spring.

The white springs have been known to explode a secondary...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've seen a secondary wear right through and the outer ring broke off. It got holes in it before that, he drove it while waiting for parts and it broke.

I have a umax though not in my cart at the moment, it really helps out especially with stock power. It will rev more and climb better, at higher speeds its not that much different. I also put a new hub on mine the part the shoes go into. I bought a new cut secondary sheave, I bought a heavy one some of them are thin and cheap. The cut sheave pushes the belt up and gives it a lower gear for climbing. A HD kevlar belt from CPP is a little wider it will also help do this, and a really nice belt too. I think my cut sheave was from tntgolf not sure. You never have to replace the fixed side if it is steel like in the photo above, the steel ones do not wear usually, unless it is damaged somehow.

Its a little harder to wind up the umax spring in there, I use 2x4 in there to get it in place, then used 1/4 bar of steel to hold it while I put the outer one on. I line up 2 by wood behind the tire and hook the bar stock on the end of it so its vertical. The fixed sheave goes right on then. If you are not fully able you will want some help for this. You can use a ratchet strap to hold it together, or make a tool to do it. (it was 1/4x4" steel bar stock maybe 3' long)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Bubba75
My wife says I'm crazy...

Yamaha

I put the CPP torque kit on my 96 G16 that included the kevlar belt,machined secondary and added the new performance clutch and she'll flat out climb. As for install it wasn't too bad but there was a bit of cussing. Hardest part is compressing spring but I used a ratchet strap attached to the top half of sheathe and it wasn't bad.
Bubba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
duramax
Gone Wild

not sure if you are going to get a 9 hp engine to pull 3-4 people up a hill with 23" tires you changed the ratio alot just with tires. mabey you should have got a side by side
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
N2snow2
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax View Post
not sure if you are going to get a 9 hp engine to pull 3-4 people up a hill with 23" tires you changed the ratio alot just with tires. mabey you should have got a side by side
I know why my kids wanted a side by side and I didn't intend to go as big as I did with tires and lift but it's an addiction I see a big block in the future I will be looking for another yamaha cart newer this time with smaller tires and lift thank everyone for the info gonna throw some more money at it and see if we can make it through the summer thanks again......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha