lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
esizemo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Broken tooth g16 camshaft

I picked up used cam this afternoon. I asked about the g22 cam being the same. I was told it is the same but the timing mark is different. There is a mark near the shaft that is used not the hole near the gear. He said that hole is about 180 degrees off, which he said he learned the hard way. I was beginning the assembly, only to break one of the new rings. This will never end.....
esizemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #12
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

The same thing happened to me. Are you reusing the rings or are you installing new ones? I was trying to reuse the rings and snapped one. It was really brittle. The only thing I could think was that either the rings were aftermarket or they change characteristics after they've been thru a lot of heat cycles. I don't know. I put brand new OEM rings on the piston and they were very easy to put on and did not feel brittle at all.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #13
esizemo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I assume aftermarket as they came with the new piston I ordered. I will be ordering OEM rings today, no luck locally. Did you put them on by hand or with ring pliers? The same ring broke on the original piston that I removed, I assumed brittle but maybe not. Can't afford to break another when they are $30 a set so any words of wisdom will be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

I put them on by hand. I don't even own ring pliers. I wasn't sure why the ring snapped. I just assumed that it was because I was trying to reuse the rings. I don't really have any words of wisdom just that the Yamaha OEM rings seemed much more expandable. Obviously I was gingerly putting the rings on but it wasn't difficult.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
esizemo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Received OEM rings yesterday. Happy to report no issues installing by hand. Engine running perfectly at this point. Govenor is turned down on purpose for moment. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
I put them on by hand. I don't even own ring pliers. I wasn't sure why the ring snapped. I just assumed that it was because I was trying to reuse the rings. I don't really have any words of wisdom just that the Yamaha OEM rings seemed much more expandable. Obviously I was gingerly putting the rings on but it wasn't difficult.
What ever happened to the G16?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

I got it running and my kids have been playing on it since. I haven't done anything else to it. My plans were (and still are) to clean and sand the body, paint it, maybe small lift with tires and sell it. I just kind of put it on hold...kinda nice having a second cart around.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha