lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G14 Counter balance shaft

After rebuilding my motor about a month ago I had to pull it again and found the counter balance shaft had broken the end off at the gear.

Out of business just before hunting season starts.

Has anyone got one out of a bad motor they might want to part with ? This is a 1996 g14 300cc. Not sure what other models will fit. I am sure some of the experts on here would know . All it says on the shaft is J38 C. If anyone might have one let me know how much. I would very much appreciate it . I can paypal.

Thanks in advance.
BamaG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 Counter balance shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaG14 View Post
After rebuilding my motor about a month ago I had to pull it again and found the counter balance shaft had broken the end off at the gear.

Out of business just before hunting season starts.

Has anyone got one out of a bad motor they might want to part with ? This is a 1996 g14 300cc. Not sure what other models will fit. I am sure some of the experts on here would know . All it says on the shaft is J38 C. If anyone might have one let me know how much. I would very much appreciate it . I can paypal.

Thanks in advance.
G2/9/8/14 all use the same J38 balancer. My question is...is the journal it rides in damaged? I have read members have ran the engine without the balancer, but I can't speak for it, I've never tried it. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
G2/9/8/14 all use the same J38 balancer. My question is...is the journal it rides in damaged? I have read members have ran the engine without the balancer, but I can't speak for it, I've never tried it. Good luck
What do you think it would do without the balancer ? Maybe have a slight vibration ? Those things are around $200 new for such a small part . If I knew someone who has tried running their motor without a balancer I would try it.

The part that broke off at gear looked to me like it had a crack in it cause of a shiny section showing on the end at the edge. I will check the side cover and see if there was any play but it looked good to me .
Old 08-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

20150829_125046.jpg

Here is a pic of the ends of balancer where it broke . Looks like it had been cracked previous to me .
Old 08-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I think you are a lucky man if it did no other damage. Big piece of metal in a tiny space with things moving all around it.The part # is j38-y1149-00-00.Mr mike 's supplier lists it at $164.12
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I think you are a lucky man if it did no other damage. Big piece of metal in a tiny space with things moving all around it.The part # is j38-y1149-00-00.Mr mike 's supplier lists it at $164.12
No other damage. In fact when the side cover come off the end of the balancer was still on it . It just fell off as I was cleaning the block some .

I went back to several older posts about some on here running it without a balancer. None said they could tell any difference. I don't run mine at high rpms in the woods so instead of paying close to 200 with shipping I am going to put it back together and see.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Let use know what happens. I would guess you will notice more at idle rpm, but with the engine mounts you may not notice much at all hard to say. Lot of racers don't run them in karts. Yeah is that defective or what, not at all common that I know of.

I read a lot about that and found little. One thing said the balancer does not counter the vibration, it just moves it 90degrees. This can make the mounts work better or otherwise be less noticeable to the operator it said.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Let use know what happens. I would guess you will notice more at idle rpm, but with the engine mounts you may not notice much at all hard to say. Lot of racers don't run them in karts. Yeah is that defective or what, not at all common that I know of.

I read a lot about that and found little. One thing said the balancer does not counter the vibration, it just moves it 90degrees. This can make the mounts work better or otherwise be less noticeable to the operator it said.
Ok will let you know if I can tell any difference in vibration or not . I am putting it back together tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Got motor back together , installed , and running without the balancer installed. Like Sho305 said it did shake a little at idle but smoothed out right above idle. Who sits with cart idling for very long anyway. Good motor mounts made it not vibrate in seat. I rode it up and down the road and couldn't tell any difference . Time will tell how it holds up . I use it around in the woods and trails so no where near any high rpms.If I ever find a balancer at a really good used price I might consider pulling motor and reinstalling it .
Old 08-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I don't know of it being an issue for the engine, it will actually make more power without the friction of running it. They say it does not balance the engine it is for vibration for the user. The g2/9 engine some wear out the cup/bearing in the side case and they knock, they take them out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha