lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch

Since You mentioned hidden Magnetic kill switches, I am attaching a quick sketch for a 12v version similar to what I use on my 48v electric cart.

When You turn the Key Switch ON, only the accessories get power, that way You can listen to music or use other accessories.

The rest of the circuit will not get power until you get a Magnet momentarily in proximity of the Reed Switch.

Once the Relay turns ON, the diode D2 latches it ON until the Key Switch is turned OFF.

You can use any Reed Switch available for Door/Window alarms as long as it is the Normally Open variety.

The D1 and D2 diodes are common 1N4001 trough 1N4007 type diodes.

The 12v LED indicator is so You know when the cart is operational.

I also wrote the common Terminal Labels for the 12v Relays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12v_Kill_Switch.jpg (159.1 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since You mentioned hidden Magnetic kill switches, I am attaching a quick sketch for a 12v version similar to what I use on my 48v electric cart.

When You turn the Key Switch ON, only the accessories get power, that way You can listen to music or use other accessories.

The rest of the circuit will not get power until you get a Magnet momentarily in proximity of the Reed Switch.

Once the Relay turns ON, the diode D2 latches it ON until the Key Switch is turned OFF.

You can use any Reed Switch available for Door/Window alarms as long as it is the Normally Open variety.

Nice and elegant!
I was looking a reed switches that I can hide behind the keyswitch so that if the keys are present, everything will power up. My radio is the only accessory that would be used and it (unfortunately) runs straight off the battery.
But I like your idea.
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

I'm not sure why the use of the diodes would be necessary around a relay circuit.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I built my own little assembly from a regular reed switch since they are very fragile, but I think the models sold for home alarms should be easier to work with.

I have mine hidden behind the dash, but not right by the key switch, at first I had the magnet hanging from the key with enough slack to reach the spot, but since then I moved the reed switch further out.

It is amazing how effective it is even for friends that used my cart before but cannot remember where they need to wave the magnet.

The diode in parallel with the coil (and reversed biased) is to protect the key switch from spikes caused by the relay coil being turned off.

The other diode (D2) from the N.O output to the coil is so the relay stays ON without having to keep the reed switch active all the time.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #15
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I built my own little assembly from a regular reed switch since they are very fragile, but I think the models sold for home alarms should be easier to work with.

I have mine hidden behind the dash, but not right by the key switch, at first I had the magnet hanging from the key with enough slack to reach the spot, but since then I moved the reed switch further out.

It is amazing how effective it is even for friends that used my cart before but cannot remember where they need to wave the magnet.

The diode in parallel with the coil (and reversed biased) is to protect the key switch from spikes caused by the relay coil being turned off.

The other diode (D2) from the N.O output to the coil is so the relay stays ON without having to keep the reed switch active all the time.
That makes sense. I didn't think of the spikes.

So, with the D2 diode, you can wave the magnet by the switch and go. Once you turn the cart off you have to wave it again??
Old 06-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegger View Post
That makes sense. I didn't think of the spikes.

So, with the D2 diode, you can wave the magnet by the switch and go. Once you turn the cart off you have to wave it again??
Very elegant!!!!

I think I'll have to hunt down some parts and make me one.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, it resets when You turn the key off.

That also works really well when I have the key ON just for the radio/under cart lights (my case since the accessories are controlled by the key switch) and the neighbor's dog decides to step on the accelerator no worries now

I used one of those Rare Earth Neodymium magnets, it works really well.

If You have an old non working key fob, You can take the insides OFF and put the magnet inside and hang it on the key.

I have a magnet holding a beer opener to the steering column that I use to enable my cart, and one stuck on the rear seat brackets in case the beer opener is gone.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #18
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes, it resets when You turn the key off.

That also works really well when I have the key ON just for the radio/under cart lights (my case since the accessories are controlled by the key switch) and the neighbor's dog decides to step on the accelerator no worries now

I used one of those Rare Earth Neodymium magnets, it works really well.

If You have an old non working key fob, You can take the insides OFF and put the magnet inside and hang it on the key.

I have a magnet holding a beer opener to the steering column that I use to enable my cart, and one stuck on the rear seat brackets in case the beer opener is gone.
I like. I'm hunting down the diodes and reed switch now.
Very slick!
A beer open would be dead give away on my cart as I don't drink much, but I do, the carts not around.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegger View Post
I like. I'm hunting down the diodes and reed switch now.

Very slick!

A beer open would be dead give away on my cart as I don't drink much, but I do, the carts not around.

I really want to try this. I'm struggling to know exactly what parts I'll need to do this on my 36v ezgo.

Can you share what parts you used?
chuckynorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #20
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Related: for my '08 ezgo txt pds do all 36v go to the ignition switch... Or would it be 12v like what you documented (or does it vary greatly?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chuckynorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO