lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 87 Marathon clutch

This old cart has had a rattling noise since I got it earlier this year and I think it is getting louder, and I'm suspecting the driven clutch. It isn't noticeable at slow speeds, but the noise starts when you accelerate. I notice that when I open up the driven clutch, I can move the movable sheave in a wobbling motion with my hands.
The manual shows how to replace a bushing in that sheave, so I'm assuming that the bushing is worn out, letting it wobble when the clutch starts to open up, causing the rattling noise. But what I'm wondering is... will there be any other parts, like a shaft, that might be worn also?
The other thing is... this clutch doesn't appear to be the OEM clutch. This has been discussed here in a previous forum earlier this year. So, finding the parts I will need will be a real pain, not knowing what I have.
Has anybody replaced the bushing? Is it much of a task? I know that rebuilt clutches are available, but I want to keep expenses low, and I have access to a press, so that doesn't worry me.
Any replies will be appreciated. I'll post a picture of the clutch if I can remember how.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3260372.JPG (81.6 KB, 0 views)
sonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 Marathon clutch

Well, I haven't had any luck getting help to identify this clutch. I even contacted Golf Cart King about it, and all I got from them was a link to the driven clutch for 87 Marathon, which is NOT what is in my cart.
The ezgo manual shows how to replace the worn bushing in the clutch, but I have not seen on this site that anyone has done that. Haven't been able to find the bushing either. Seems like everyone just buys a new clutch. I'd appreciate any help on this.

Another question, does the engine and engine cradle have to come out of the cart before the clutch will come off the differential shaft? The manual doesn't say that, but it if the shaft is very long at all, there won't be enough room to slide the clutch forward far enough. As you can tell, I'm new at this golf cart thing, so I'm hoping someone has some experience they are willing to share.
Thanks!! And Merry Christmas to you all!
Old 12-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Let me tell you the little bit that I know about my 87 clutch.

My cart slowed down from 17mph to 14, and then less.

My spring was flat on both ends. There was no little hook that allowed you to clock it like the newer ones.

I lubed mine with Molylube for a while. I had to rivet the rear plate back on once. It was also loose, and wobbly on the shaft. I managed to nurse it along for about a year. It got to be too wobbly, and wouldn't grab the belt under load. I finally quit being a cheap ***, and replaced it for $199. It runs so much stronger now, and hits 19mph.

I would have re-bushed it, but the rear plate had stress fractures. I'm glad that I got the new one.

I see that golf cart king has green springs like yours that they call power springs, or torque springs. Maybe yours was rebuilt once already.

Once you take the center bolt out, there is plenty of room for the clutch to drop right off. I lubed mine good, so it was less than 5 minutes to change.

YouTube has videos on Team clutches, that gave good visuals on taking these apart.

I know it's not much help, but that's all I got.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Let me tell you the little bit that I know about my 87 clutch.

My cart slowed down from 17mph to 14, and then less.

My spring was flat on both ends. There was no little hook that allowed you to clock it like the newer ones.

I lubed mine with Molylube for a while. I had to rivet the rear plate back on once. It was also loose, and wobbly on the shaft. I managed to nurse it along for about a year. It got to be too wobbly, and wouldn't grab the belt under load. I finally quit being a cheap ***, and replaced it for $199. It runs so much stronger now, and hits 19mph.

I would have re-bushed it, but the rear plate had stress fractures. I'm glad that I got the new one.

I see that golf cart king has green springs like yours that they call power springs, or torque springs. Maybe yours was rebuilt once already.

Once you take the center bolt out, there is plenty of room for the clutch to drop right off. I lubed mine good, so it was less than 5 minutes to change.

YouTube has videos on Team clutches, that gave good visuals on taking these apart.

I know it's not much help, but that's all I got.
Thanks for the input Cart Around. I'm a little hesitant about ordering a complete clutch because this one on my cart is different looking than the one for sale from Golfcartking. I know it may fit the shaft ok, but until it is in my hands, I just won't know.

I guess I'll go ahead and do it though, because so far I haven't found an available bushing. If I knew where to find that, I'd go ahead and try the re-bush first.

I do have to admit to being a cheap *** (ha), but part of that is my aversion to seeing perfectly repairable things going to the landfill. I'm NOT a tree hugger by any means, but that has always bugged me.

I'll go and take a look at the Team clutches video.

I hope you and yours have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I just took some pictures of my stock 87 clutch.

There is a two piece snap ring that holds everything together.

The rear shot shows how small the splined shaft is. Two, or three inches long tops.

I circled in yellow where my stress cracks are. I circled in red where it wobbles.

I don't know if there is a replacement bushing, or not. My plan was to give it to the machine shop at work, and have them make whatever it needed.

The cracks put a stop to that plan.
Comparing the two clutches, I wonder if yours is from a 3-pg, or an after market. It's a different design.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020496.JPG (96.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1020498.JPG.jpg (68.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1020501.jpg (160.1 KB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #6
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

All good info. Thanks again.
Yeah, it's frustrating not knowing what the clutch is on my cart. I guess I'll go ahead and pull the clutch and see if there is any identifying info on it. If not, my only option will be to buy one and hope it fits. Should be pretty safe though. This may be a different clutch, but I doubt the rear axle has been changed out with another version. I suppose the belt width might be different, and possibly the spring tension.

I've been putting off taking the thing apart because I use it regularly for various odd jobs around the house and yard. Winter has arrived though, so it's time to move forward on it.

Thanks again for the help Cart Around.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO