lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2017, 02:13 AM   #21
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New guy old cart

Looks like it is an MCI 350cc. I did not think they produced those till later, but i could be wrong.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #22
Fabdaddy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds like i hit the jackpot with this cart .
I got it cleaned and front end tore down and found
missing bushings in the spindle.

so I ordered new sleeves and bushings along with tune up kit and brake shoes and a new belt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171213_114257.jpg (314.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171213_143849.jpg (252.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171213_143640.jpg (269.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171213_143521.jpg (187.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171213_143816.jpg (151.1 KB, 0 views)
Fabdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #23
Fabdaddy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

my steering is loose at the big pivot pin on the rack. the PO ran ALL the bushings dry . can this bushing be replaced?

the small tapered hole on the rack end of the pivot arm is also loose. I believe the rack end tierod knuckle is the wrong one. while it attaches to the rack proper the taper is to small to tighten in the hole as evidenced by the split out grease boot and not being able to tighten
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171213_143737.jpg (251.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171213_143816.jpg (151.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171213_143640.jpg (269.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:59 AM   #24
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Hi Fabdaddy. Looks like you certainly hit the jackpot here, all those minor issues are easily fixed and once done you will have a sweet cart. Just a nice paint job and new seat covers and you will be the envy of the members here at the price you paid.

The large steering bush, used to be readily available so i assume it still is. spindle bushings should be easy to match up or obtain from the suppliers of the lift spindle ( i think it is a Jakes set up.) The steering tie rod end does not look too bad but again it should be readily available from an ezgo dealer, but look carefully at the drag link itself. Usually when the TRE comes loose, it will wear the tapered hole in the drag link therefore a new TRE will not solve the issue. Also with that amount of wear due to lack of grease, i would suspect play in the rack too. All the parts used to be readily available for rebuild, but in your case, i think you may be better of replacing the steering rack as a whole item. Not cheap but well worth doing at this stage. I would also change out all the other TRE's at this stage too to save future unexpected failure. If one part has not been greased, then suspect all other greasable moving parts. Luckily there are not many other grease points on the cart. Also look for wear on the brake pedal pivots etc.

With the Axle, you may find the OEM new ones slightly different section steel as an upgrade was done to make them stronger at some point but i cannot remember exactly when this was done. Do NOT buy a chinese cheapy here or you will be replacing it sooner than later due to poor welding.

Now i have a good view of the entire cart, it looks like the rear box may be a flip seat kit. Does the rear section of the floor lift and fold over? If so, you are just missing the seat base by the look of it.

I am suprised nobody else has commented to agree / disagree with some of my advice, It's usually a battlefield of conflict here LOL.

Good, luck and spend what you have to to put things right, a few hundred $$$$ will give you a cart worth a few thousand.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #25
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Me again.

I cant guarantee the pricing, but i have done some digging.

Whole steering box complete, $473.78

You cannot buy the bushes from EZGO, You have to buy their service kit which includes the aluminum box complete with bushes.

service kit/steering housing $193.62
Rack ball end (TRE) $61.78
Rack (likely to be worn) $47.36
Other parts to service the steering box likely to be needed around another $100

In my opinion as i said previously, unless you can match the bushings from a bearing supplier, you will be better off replacing the whole steering box.

Maybe one of the Sponsers here can supply at better prices or have a source for the bushes.

The steering box is simple to dismantle in the correct order, so maybe you can remove the bushes and try to get them matched if all the other components are still in good condition.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #26
Fabdaddy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks colin. It is a jakes lift the drag link tapered hole looks in good shape the tre slides in and bottoms out before getting tight. all TREs are recently installed and tight except the one on the rack.

when i got my first cart i soon discovered ALL the sites on line that carry ezgo parts. ive located all the front end items on eb or amoz and compare their prices to find the best deal. amoz mainly because of prime 2 day free shipping

then found this site and the wealth of info and great community of like minded people that are eager to share their knowlage. AMAZING.

ive been a wrench head all my life. these carts a beautifully simple and are fun to tinker with. i have good fabricating and welding skills to do repairs and mods are not a problem.
ive ordered the bushings , spindle pins ,and ive seen the complete racks for 250ish. im going to run this rack for a while. and save $ for some more parts
Old 12-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #27
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

$100 is a steal of a deal my friend. Congratulations!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #28
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
$100 is a steal of a deal my friend. Congratulations!
Steal a deal is and understatement hopefully it wasn't a actual steal and this guy just needed cash lol
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:47 AM   #29
Fabdaddy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks guys , yeah its kinda mind blowing . it was owned buy a farm . part of the place was rented out for weddings and such. 15 acres of it is a girl scout camp ground . this cart was the camp maintanence vehical for 15 years. the farm bought a new 4x4 kubota diesel UTV so they just wanted it gone. its lived on the farm with all dirt roads. the thing is packed with mud . when the spindle rebuild parts get here im taking it to a friends house and use his forklift to raise it and power wash the under caridge. trying to work on a muddy rig is way to messy.

cant wait till parts arrive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171212_192122.jpg (190.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-15-2017, 03:35 AM   #30
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If you are keeping the steering box for now, why not wrap a sliver of shim steel round the taper on the TRE to see if it can help tighten the taper in the hole. I know it is not ideal before anyone shouts "dont do it" but if it works for now and you are the only operator, i say try it!

And you are very welcome to any help i can give you, but as i said before i only just got back involved here and i am over ten years out of practice LOL. I think my last proper time here was in 2007, i just have to trust my memory these days LOL.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO