lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
Jmcint1
Not Yet Wild

Default Rear wheels wobble while braking

Rear wheels wobble only while braking on 2015 Yamaha Drive electric. I have changed out brake drums but issue still remains. It rides fine otherwise. I thought it was the drum because the brake feels like it is not grabbing consistently. Just gives you a rough intermittent stop. Any ideas? Thanks!
Jmcint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Rear wheels wobble while braking

Maybe incorrect drums? Is the hole in the center of the drum a really tight fit on the hub? (It should be). That hole is what aligns the drum to prevent this very situation. Also, aftermarket drums are known to be questionable.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
DON-C
Not Yet Wild

I experienced the same problem on my club car DS after installing new after market brake drums. The drums were a little larger than the stock 8 inch wheels and caused the wheels to wobble and jerky braking. Removed and replaced with old brake drums and everything was good again.
DON-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcint1 View Post
Rear wheels wobble only while braking on 2015 Yamaha Drive electric. I have changed out brake drums but issue still remains. It rides fine otherwise. I thought it was the drum because the brake feels like it is not grabbing consistently. Just gives you a rough intermittent stop. Any ideas? Thanks!

I thought the Drive had internal brakes...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcint1 View Post
Ive run into that here where I am at. What ive found in ever case is the brakes are adjusted wrong.
Seems the local Yamaha dealer workers like to just adjust the cable. This causes the brakes to not brake evenly and causes the brakes to grab.
Simple fix is to just adjust the brakes correctly. The cart being so new, sure doesnt need new parts.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I thought the Drive had internal brakes...
Drives with all aluminum finned axle have internal brakes, newer ones went back to traditional Dana axle with traditional brakes.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
CRSmith05
Not Yet Wild

My 2016 was doing the same. Based on advice from another thread I removed a few thin metal clips from the wheel studs. If you remove the wheels you’ll see them on the wheel studs, they are sandwiched directly behind where the wheel was mounted. They pop off easily with a pair of needle nose pliers. I noticed an immediate improvement and after several stops the problem is completely gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRSmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

If the drums were removed and replaced, one might assume the clips we're already removed.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
Jmcint1
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your posts, it was the aftermarket wheels not properly aligning to the drum! Just needed to be aligned. Thank you!
Jmcint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
Zooky
Not Yet Wild

had this happen on a 2017. the lock tabs that hold the drums on interfere with the aftermarket wheels. remove them and you wont have any problems getting the wheels to mate up correctly.
Zooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, brake, electric, wobble, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha