lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Anyone have a technicians service repair manual for MCI EZGO MPTs/Workhorse?

Looking for a technicians manual for a 2004+ workhorse/MPT. I was test driving the MPT yesterday with the MCI 295 and replacement wiring harness installed, and the fused red wire from the solenoid to the reverse microswitch dropped on the S/G pulley and shorted. Blew the fuse. I didn't notice that the wire had shorted, found the failed fuse, and with no obvious cause, replaced the fuse in kind. Engine turned over and fired briefly, then shorted again, this time didn't blow the fuse, but the wire was severed. I smelled electrical burn, so pulled the battery cable. No smoke, but that's when I found the shorted wire. Fixed the wire, looked at the rest of the connections. Engine turns over as it should, but no spark. I need to start testing each component...need the values for the MCI electrical components to do the testing.

Old links to manuals in the Tech sub forum are no longer any good.

Thanks in advance
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Anyone have a technicians service repair manual for MCI EZGO MPTs/Workhorse?

Maybe trig or someone can provide something useful

But from my experience with these machines I would put my money on a smoked igniter. It doesn’t take much to damage them and it’s about the only thing you “could” damage easily that would kill spark. The coils and pulsar are pretty robust but the igniter is easily damaged, and frequently damaged when other people hook up the battery backwards (which is easy to do). So if you had a shorted wire it wouldn’t surprise me if it killed it.

Unfortunately the ignitor cannot be tested. The oem is probably $350ish but this is not one of those parts I would even consider an aftermarket for. I know you have access to a pretty good stockpile of parts. But if you can’t find one I do have a spare.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anyone have a technicians service repair manual for MCI EZGO MPTs/Workhorse?

I agree with cp241, there is a good chance it may have fried the ignitor.

Did you have the 7 am fuse in it ? and was yours wired like the picture I included ?

I may have a manual at my shop. I will look tomorrow and post what I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring ezgo.jpg (63.0 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Maybe trig or someone can provide something useful

But from my experience with these machines I would put my money on a smoked igniter. It doesn’t take much to damage them and it’s about the only thing you “could” damage easily that would kill spark. The coils and pulsar are pretty robust but the igniter is easily damaged, and frequently damaged when other people hook up the battery backwards (which is easy to do). So if you had a shorted wire it wouldn’t surprise me if it killed it.

Unfortunately the ignitor cannot be tested. The oem is probably $350ish but this is not one of those parts I would even consider an aftermarket for. I know you have access to a pretty good stockpile of parts. But if you can’t find one I do have a spare.
Thanks for the offer CP. I don't have a good stockpile of parts...I have parts to put four machines together, 2 MCI, and two pre-MCI...well...some of the parts...and will end up figuring out options for a 5th, pre-MCI-4bolt. I have a few spares of coils and fuel pumps, but that is about it. I still need to figure the carbs out, get a couple driven clutches, a flywheel and fan for MCI motor, and who knows what else. As I build them, I find what I am missing.
I know I don't have a spare MCI igniter here...I am planning on going to the shop to look for a pulsar coil for Trig, and the remaining parts I need, at least the initial ones I can come up with. Might find one in the old cart pile, but who knows. Do we know if the TXT and MPT (Workhorse) MCI igniters are the same? Same for the 295 and 350? I know there is a TXT in the woods, not sure what year though. Not sure if any of the other machines there are MCI or not. Unfortunately, I have a busy work week and may not be able to get there till the end of the week at the earliest, if then. I do have a couple MCI coils, one on a rebuilt engine, a pulsar coil on the same rebuilt engine, and I think I might have an ignitor in the other MCI machine I have here...I just hate to put it in there and risk losing it if I screwed something else up with the short. I was planning on doing some diagnostics on the rest of the components to narrow it down to the ignitor as the last bit, knowing it can't be tested.
Anyone have a known dead ignitor? I'd like to pull one apart and find out what makes it tick...figure out why it isn't testable.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Thanks for the offer CP. I don't have a good stockpile of parts...I have parts to put four machines together, 2 MCI, and two pre-MCI...well...some of the parts...and will end up figuring out options for a 5th, pre-MCI-4bolt. I have a few spares of coils and fuel pumps, but that is about it. I still need to figure the carbs out, get a couple driven clutches, a flywheel and fan for MCI motor, and who knows what else. As I build them, I find what I am missing.
I know I don't have a spare MCI igniter here...I am planning on going to the shop to look for a pulsar coil for Trig, and the remaining parts I need, at least the initial ones I can come up with. Might find one in the old cart pile, but who knows. Do we know if the TXT and MPT (Workhorse) MCI igniters are the same? Same for the 295 and 350? I know there is a TXT in the woods, not sure what year though. Not sure if any of the other machines there are MCI or not. Unfortunately, I have a busy work week and may not be able to get there till the end of the week at the earliest, if then. I do have a couple MCI coils, one on a rebuilt engine, a pulsar coil on the same rebuilt engine, and I think I might have an ignitor in the other MCI machine I have here...I just hate to put it in there and risk losing it if I screwed something else up with the short. I was planning on doing some diagnostics on the rest of the components to narrow it down to the ignitor as the last bit, knowing it can't be tested.
Anyone have a known dead ignitor? I'd like to pull one apart and find out what makes it tick...figure out why it isn't testable.
I edited my last post. Check the wiring picture I included to make sure yours is wired this way.
Don't think you would find anything inside that ignitor. I wish there was a test but its not to be.
The ignitors are the same on on txt and workhorse.
I will get back with you tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:49 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I agree with cp241, there is a good chance it may have fried the ignitor.

Did you have the 7 am fuse in it ? and was yours wired like the picture I included ?

I may have a manual at my shop. I will look tomorrow and post what I have.
Thanks, I appreciate it. It had a 25 amp fuse in it. I had that wiring diagram for a TXT and saw that it has a 7 amp fuse. I expected the 25 amp fuse was due to it being an MPT/Workhorse. Guess I need to put a lower amp fuse back in.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you need the ignitor just pm me.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Here you go JPonLKN
and others who have the MCI engine in their ezgo cart and want to test pulser coil and ignition coil .

I also included the correct wiring diagram which really is not much different than the one I showed last night but it is for your cart.

This is taken from an ezgo 2004-2007 repair manual with the MCI engine.
If you need more info let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ignition test MCI engine.jpg (356.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MCI more tests.jpg (120.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo MCI engine wiring for ignition .jpg (108.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Trig, are you sure that is foe the MCI machines? It refers to red and white and black pulsar coil wires...mine are blue and green. Based on those numbers, my pulsar is good, my coil is 2.6 on primary...secondary is 11.6. Should fire. I did swap my other ignitor in...no spark. I might have two bad ignitors, or another issue somewhere. I can't believe there is no way to test the ignitor...it is a circuit board.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks like I am on hold for a bit. I hate asking others for old stock when I don't know for sure what my issue is.

Trig, thanks for the manual page
CP, I will look through the stuff we have here first and get back with you if needed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO