lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
goat124
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 marathon 3pg motor

I just rebuilt the top end of the motor with new cylinder and piston kit. i have been running short trips to make it break it self in and i just went on a few mile ride on it and it started to spit and sputter so i stopped and took the seat up and notice that the muffler was glowing red tords the rear about where the band goes around where the exhaust dumps out. do yall think the muffler is toast and plugged up? is there a way to clean it out that yall know of or any way of using a muffler set up for a 2pg motor because that muffler is like 200 bucks compared to almost 700 buck for the right one for mine. it will crank and run fine after it sits for a while after it cools off. any help is greatly appreciated.
goat124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
my1423
Gone Wild

Default Re: 89 marathon 3pg motor

You can take off the muffler and bbq it in a hot fire for a couple hours. Do a search many a thread on it. Cleans the goop out.
Did it run good on the short trips?
When it cooled down does is run ok after the popping incident.

First thing i would do is check your compression.
I know you just rebuilt it but glowing red is bad and probably says you had bad crank seals, ran it lean and possibly melted it.
Check the plug for aluminum balls ect.
What color is your plug? White brown or black?
When you pull the muffler look up into the port and make sure your piston is no scored.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
goat124
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1423 View Post
You can take off the muffler and bbq it in a hot fire for a couple hours. Do a search many a thread on it. Cleans the goop out.
Did it run good on the short trips?
When it cooled down does is run ok after the popping incident.

First thing i would do is check your compression.
I know you just rebuilt it but glowing red is bad and probably says you had bad crank seals, ran it lean and possibly melted it.
Check the plug for aluminum balls ect.
What color is your plug? White brown or black?
When you pull the muffler look up into the port and make sure your piston is no scored.
I did notice when the muffler was off there were a few pinholes in the muffler about where it was turning red would that have anything to do with it. I will check the compression tonight and let you know I know before this it was about 130 and it runs fine other wise on short trips and it ran fine after it did that when it cooled off. is there a easy way to check the crank seals that you know of that way I can check them tonight.
goat124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:40 AM   #4
my1423
Gone Wild

If the engine was oily especially black sticky goo on the cases when you took it apart it has a really good chance of leaking. Behind the flywheel and behind the clutch.

Test that somewhat works.
Put the cart up on blocks.
Get a friend to start the cart and hold it at one rpm by not moving the throttle once it is at that rpm.
Take some flammable spray like starting fluid, propane, carb cleaner, wd40, ect with a long straw.
Spray it at the seals while its running but not into the intake.
Revs up or bogs down bad seals.
Problem is the front seal behind the flywheel. Can pre bend the straw with a hair dryer and tape it in place.

If you have just a few pinholes in the pipe you can braze them up. After a good bbq to clean it out.
If its all rusted thru and thin might be time to find a new pipe or else loads of patch work.

Running good and then popping after 20 min or so can be a few other issues.
Gas cap or tank vent plugged and pulling vacuum in tank starving for fuel. Takes awhile. Loosen the cap and test.
Bad fuel pump not pumping enough and running out of gas. This will be a issue after just a few minutes of wide open throttle.
Put on a see thru filter in a spot you can see and watch what it does while running.
Big bad electrical heat gremlins ones in order from most to very least likely, bad coil, bad solenoid, bad cdi module, or bad trigger coil.
Hook up a timing light or ignition triggered tach and see what it does. Drop out.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muffler, rebuilt engine
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO