lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
thekidd76
Not Yet Wild

Default '89 EZGO 2PG Carb Question

I picked up a package of carts this weekend, all need a little work, so I started with this one. It's lifted, and has 22" tires on it, and the guy I bought it from never had it running right.

It starts right up in Forward or Reverse, but doesn't want to move. At first it would move OK in Reverse, but not Forward. I checked the switch, everything looks good. I reversed the F and R cables, but it still didn't run any better in Forward. Moved on to the carb and realized that one of the posts was missing so it was very loose. Took it off and pulled it apart, cleaned it all up. Put it back together and no change.

Put it up on jack stands and it just wasn't getting enough power to get the clutch to move and engage the drive belt. I noticed it seemed to run better with full choke. Adjusted the arm where the clutch cable connects, and it seemed to be working. I could go full throttle on the gas pedal and watch the clutch fully engage the drive belt, and the passenger rear wheel was flying.

Dropped it and backed it out of the garage, drive down the fairly steep drive and up the other side, started to slow down up the other side, then once I got about 1/4 mile to the flat road at the top of the drive it completely stopped moving again. Pulled the seat and checked to see if the choke arm had dropped back and reset to where it was before I adjusted it, but all was good. Had to pull it back to the house.

Does anyone have the 2pg motor, and if so can you post a couple pics of all your carb connections, both hoses and cables? It's obvious someone has screwed with it before. It looks like it had two cables connecting to the throttle arm from the front of the cart, but one has been cut off, now has one that slacks the arm when the gas pedal is pressed. There's a small vacuum port on the top of the carb that is spitting some gas when turned over that isn't connected to anything.

Lastly I checked compression and it's at 120, and getting good fire on the spark plug. After playing with this some more I feel like maybe where it is now, the engine isn't actually running, just trying to turn over. Is there a good way to check the fuel pump?

Sorry for the long winded post, this ended up going a lot longer than I intended.
thekidd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '89 EZGO 2PG Carb Question

An 89 should have the 3-pg engine. Spark plug on top of the engine.

The small vacuum port that you mention is the bowl vent/ overflow. It doesn't attach to anything. It also shouldn't be spitting any gas. That means gas is getting into the float bowl, but not out.

Two cables on the carburetor sounds like a throttle cable, and a governor cable. All you really need is a choke cable, and a throttle cable.

The carburetor is spring loaded open. Stepping on the pedal should lengthen the cable, and allow the carb to open itself.

I will post pictures of my 87 2-pg carburetor, but I believe an 89 3-pg is rigged differently.

Your drive belt should measure 1 3/16" wide. An inch or smaller is junk.

I was thinking that you could have a stripped hub, but it sounds like the clutches are just sticking from sitting so long.

The fuel pump should put out a healthy spurt of gas. Common pump failures are gunk buildup, and ripped diaphragms.

A ripped lower diaphragm will flood the crankcase causing it to not run, and make you think there is an ignition problem.

Crankcase seal leaks are also a common failure.

I would start with taking the fuel pump, and carburetor apart for a good cleaning.

I would like to see some pictures of the cart, and engine. Something doesn't sound right. There is no reverse cable on a 2 stroke engine. The engine runs in the opposite direction. You may be looking at the governor cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closed throttle.jpg (208.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg open throttle.jpg (263.3 KB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
thekidd76
Not Yet Wild

This is an early 89, which is the 2pg. Thanks for the pics, same setup as mine. So that small tube with the tiny hose running off it is just a vacuum line? that hose that drops back through the plate the throttle cable runs through is just holding it in place, but not attached to anything on the other end?

Never mentioned a reverse cable, maybe it was the governor cable you mentioned that was removed. I'll take some pics.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It's just a vent for the float bowl.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
thekidd76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I see the oil injection banjo is still there, but no cable for the oiler. You should remove that, and plug the hole with a 6mm screw.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
thekidd76
Not Yet Wild

You'll have to point out what you're talking about CA, I'm new to carts. I know the oil pump was disengaged, but not sure where you're talking about removing something and plugging the hole.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

In my pictures, you can see a Philip's head screw at the top of the intake manifold.

Your picture has a hex head nut with a brass fitting, and a hose. Maybe your hose is plugged airtight on the other end, maybe not.

It needs to be plugged. Most people just remove it, and install a metric 6mm screw.

I'm curious about which muffler you have. Does the pipe coming from the engine connect to the top end of the muffler, or the top side?

An 88 2-pg was the only year that attached on the end. I'm curious if that is what they used on yours.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #9
thekidd76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks..I see what you're talking about now. I've attached a pic of how that was left. I'll end up doing what you've done there. As for the muffler, yes it goes to the top.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
thekidd76
Not Yet Wild

I've pulled the carb apart twice and cleaned out all the jets completely. Once I put it back together I get about 30 seconds of it running like a champ, then it seems to flood or something and just dies completely. I guess I'll pull out the fuel pump tomorrow and see what I can see with those diaphragms.

Tags
carb, drive, fnr
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO