lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default "Just for Fun" Marathon Project w TXT Front End, HS Gears, etc

Found a 1994 Marathon on Craigs with a "Blown Transmission" for basically salvage price and after giving it some thought just *had* to go investigate with a trailer, LOL - Even though it was about 15 degrees out it fired right up and after finding out that it was sitting where it had "died" and that it actually still *did* have reverse, I did some poking around and of course found the broken shift cable ... So I did the "deal" and used the handle from my ice scraper to put it back in "F", drove it onto the trailer and brought it back to the shop after stopping by the local indoor self-serve car wash and relieving it of about 130lbs of caked-on dirt and mud ... (I also had to stop for a beer or two to erase the mental image of the sellers face when I magically "fixed" the blown trans after handing him the cash, LOL)

After a day to thaw in the shop, I went through it - compression is perfect, no smoke, appears to have had the driven clutch replaced recently enough to show almost zero wear - the only real issues are the cracked top, some surface rust on the cargo box, a ding on the rear fender, and the always-present rot on the front cowl (with a solid frame underneath) and the incorrect drive belt - heck, even the battery box only has the slightest of bubbing started around the edges. Knowing we had a foot of snow coming I took advantage of the last nice day to run it around a bit (after throwing the correct used belt on it), steering and brakes just fine, typical dead spots indicative of a carb in need of cleaning or replacing - yep, this one should definitely dodge the "Salvage" bullet !!! "Back to My Roots" as they say - been a LONG time since I had to ressuccitate a "Beater with a Heater" LOL, this is going to be a great little project to kill boredom during the slow season and while waiting for parts on carts in the shop

SO ... After looking through the parts room (more like slashing my way through it like some modern-day gearhead "Dr Livingston"), I came up with a nice white TXT cowl, a set of Marathon rear supports, a late Club Car DS canopy that matches the seats, a nice unused set of 22X11-8 Ocelots, and an ATV Engineering 5" Marathon lift kit, as well as a decent takeoff set of early TXT shift cables. I know I have at least one new carb in the shop *somewhere*, along with all the detail stuff, plugs, air filter, oil filter, etc.

00W0W_6o1ZkjfVvKr_1200x900.jpg

20161210_155420.jpg

20161210_160738.jpg

20161210_160747.jpg

At this point, I have a side-bet with the "Other Half" as well as my part-timer, I have $200 into the cart so far BUT these two know ME well enough to realize it's likely I will WAAAAY "Overdo" the project, so the bet is that I can't turn it into a $1500 sale using only 10hrs of my own shop time and no new parts other than the old lift kit and tires plus the filters and carb - that puts the total budget at $500 counting the costs of the new parts I'm using and the cart itself (the used parts don't count *but* that caveat includes nuts and bolts, etc - not ONE new part that I have to pull out of inventory or pay for) ... I'm thinking "Game ON" - You guys think I can pull this one off? I already have what we're calling 45min into cleaning, pulling the cowl and top, more cleaning, testing, etc so the worst of the prelim is out of the way ...

Last edited by BrewCityMusic; 12-12-2016 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Almost forgot ....
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: "Just for Fun" Marathon Project w TXT Front End, HS Gears, etc

*Edit* Oh yeah, almost forgot - I also have a set of 8:1 gears somewhere that I know will fit the rear end - and the best part is they're USED, hahahaha - THAT should definitely add a buck or two to the final selling price without breaking the rules
Old 12-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Every time I do a TXT front-end swap on a Marathon i keep forgetting to photograph and post the minor cutting involved to make it a "bolt-on" - until now. Add 20min to the clock

Screenshot_2016-12-12-15-48-20.jpg

Screenshot_2016-12-12-15-49-32.jpg

OK, so the top pic shows the 1.25" that have to be removed from the frame upright itself, just make a parallel cut to the existing front of the upright and grind off the off piece of the thick frame that will be sticking out when the cut is made.

The bottom pic is what You have to trim from the metal "dash plate" looking down from above ... Immediately behind the glovebox trim, cut in 3/4" and just to the INSIDE of the last mounting tab on the front make a 3/4" cut, then just radius cut from pint to point (as You can see, the actual "radius" can be an eyeball job, it's hidden anyhow by the plastic dash tray, when You drop the front end on it'll fall into place easily if not, then it's easy to see where another smidge here and there may need to be removed)

At this point, the TXT front will drop right on - You'll have to drill holes through the frame upright for the 2 bolts on each side, use the cowl as a template. Also, You'll need to test-fit and bolt it up, then go inside the cowl from the rear and drill 2 holes that line up with the dash support - You can skip this if You don't want 2 fasteners visible on the cowl, but from what I've found it keeps the new front end from rattling (I'll get pics of that after I head back to the shop)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Subbed
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

*hanging out w some buddies in the shop discussing the storm, NOT cheating but for the cost of a case I've snuck a few more things into the mix, LOL .... Stay Tuned ....*
Old 12-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
75nova
Not Yet Wild

Watching !
75nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Around here, Atlanta, That's a $1200-$1500 cart NOW!
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
Around here, Atlanta, That's a $1200-$1500 cart NOW!
Yeah, it's a strange market up here too - a couple of years ago *any* running cart was minimum $1200 electric and $1500 gas, now though it's all over the board. Even the "Big Boys" (Distributors and Leasing Companies) that were strictly Golf Courses and Municipalities have gotten into the Consumer market now - You almost can't GIVE away the 2-stroke stuff, even the older 4-strokes like this one aren't in much demand unless they stand out from the pack (hence the lift/tires, new cowl, top, etc that I have planned).

Shop furnace went out yesterday and it's -7 with the wind chill so everything is on hold til we get heat in the shop again, looks like later this AM the part should be here so hopefully I'll get the cowl finished and the lift/tires on tonight, depends on how long it takes to get things warmed back up, brrrrr
Old 12-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OHHH to damned cold for me! Thats one reason I moved from Indiana 38 years ago. Its cold here also, 50 now and 60's this week end!
My buddy in Indiana keeps calling me a wimp! because I wont come see him in the winter. but I'm a warm wimp! LOL
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, finally had a few hours to kill in the shop today, got it lifted, the shift cables are done and adjusted, new carb and plugs, air filter ... Hoping to run the tires over to the other shop and get them mounted and on the cart sometime tomorrow, and if I can get a second set of hands for a bit I should have the front end all mounted and wired up for the light bar I found ... Ran it around a little bit before it got dark out, runs out real nice and is definitely a lot peppier with the Yamaha belt. OH - believe it or not, the original Factory Lead Seal on the Governor is *still* intact, hahaha - haven't seen THAT in a really really long time, almost hate to cut it (but of course I'm going to).

Budget still on track, had a few stubborn bolts, etc today that ate up an extra 20min on the clock but she's still coming along !!!!

20161226_153554.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO