lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 1989 Gas Ez-Go F/R microswitches

Hi Guys
I'm normally over in the Yamaha gas section, have a G1 Gas for personal use. We use a 1989 EZ-Go 2 cycle gas cart at the museum railroad where I work, though. It's a real survivor, but it crapped out last fall. Been sitting out in the weather ever since. I drew the short straw to try to fix it. Cleaned everything up, new battery and starter solenoid, which were obviously junk. No joy - no power to the starter solenoid. It runs great if I bridge the solenoid from battery positive to the small terminal on the solenoid, however.

12 volts is getting through the ignition switch and the switch controlled by the accelerator and to the F/R switch. Took F/R switch apart and it was packed with dirt and sand, neither microswitches were functional. Cleaned everything up, and adjusted microswitches using a ohm meter. They now work.

Here's the big question. By the time I got the little roller fixed and working properly on the one microswitch, I'm not sure that it's positioned properly. It shows no continuity when all the way in forward or reverse. It makes contact when the little roller is in the recessed part of the cam. Is it supposed to have continuity when all the way in forward or reverse, or not? Hope picture explains the issue. I started with a solid ball of dirt and grease.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1989 Ez-go Fr switch.jpg (152.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170402_112419 (Large).jpg (214.0 KB, 0 views)
fredstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 Gas Ez-Go F/R microswitches

When everything is mounted, look from the rear. The switch on the driver's side is the reverse buzzer. it will only make contact in reverse.

The passenger side switch is the neutral safety switch. It makes contact in both directions. It is connected in series with the key switch, and the pedal switch. It is also interesting to note that the neutral safety switch did not exist in the 85, and earlier carts.

If you had to, you could bypass it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 AM   #3
fredstev
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1989 Gas Ez-Go F/R microswitches

Thanks Cart Around. The passenger side microswitch is adjusted and working fine now. I also managed to have the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid on the wrong post. Fixed that, and cart runs great again.
fredstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO