lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
mcannon321
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G29 Drive AC Total Satisfaction Navitas TAC2

I just finished dialing in my new Navitas TAC2 on my Yamaha G29 Drive AC. Although it was certainly not inexpensive, I feel it is an incredible value, as it turned my 12 mph dog into a 35 mph BEAST. I ran through the neighborhood and watched everyone stop dead in their tracks and stare as I flew by at over 30 mph. That was truly fun
The installation was straightforward, but it was obvious that the settings were in need of work on the initial run. Acceleration was weak and top speed was about 22 mph. The tech support folks were very helpful in fine tuning the settings with me over the phone. We used the dealer app (provided by Navitas) on my phone to first load the appropriate profile for my cart. We then used the incredible app to record data from a trip around the block. I sent the data to Navitas with a touch on my cellphone screen, and Richard had a look at the data curves. He suggested a few tweaks. BOOM. Monster Cart!
I know the price tag is a bit of a deterrent, but for the Yamaha Drive AC, this is the one single thing you can buy that will unleash this beast. After running it full blast for miles until the gauge read 48.4, I checked the batteries, cables, and motor, and everything was barely warm to the touch. I took this to be proof that the Drive AC has all it needs right from the factory to handle the upgrade. That is something to consider when it comes to the investment in the controller. The controller is all you need.
In short, I am totally satisfied with the TAC2 controller, and finally, with my G29 Drive AC. Mike C.
Now, of course, comes the test of time.
mcannon321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Drive AC Total Satisfaction Navitas TAC2

Mike,

I just picked up a 2016 Drive AC concierge last week.

Has 8 6volt new batteries.
Just ordered lift,tires, and Navitas TAC3 600 amp controller.
Can’t wait to see the results after install this week!

Cart currently does 20mph with upgraded speed code and a lot of torque stock.
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
rflagler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I see in other threads where people mention that upgrading to a higher amp controller puts your motor on borrowed time. I assume this is because it's stressing the motor a lot more. Would that be the same for the AC motor in the YDREX6 or is it more capable?
rflagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Nope, the AC motor is Much more robust, highest hp stock motor in the industry. Dont worry about the AC motor, itll be just fine.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
rflagler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Nope, the AC motor is Much more robust, highest hp stock motor in the industry. Dont worry about the AC motor, itll be just fine.
Good to know. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintv View Post
Mike,
I just picked up a 2016 Drive AC concierge last week.
When I look up the current AC concierge models, they list the following.

"OUTPUT RATING:Fleet: 4.4 hp (3.3kW) PTV: 6.7 hp ( 5.0kW)"

I think I've seen this in other literature before. Do you know if these output ratings are based on the controller limiting the Fleet car to that power, or does it have a less powerful motor? My 2016 Fleet AC has a 5kW motor, but it is limited by the controller, so maybe that's the 3.3kW rating they're getting at?
rflagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

They made AC carts & DC carts in the same years. You can still get a DC cart if you wanted to.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Bell0347
Not Yet Wild

If you don't mind me asking, how does the cart handle at those speeds? I just bought a refurbed 2016 AC and had them install the "speed" code. The cart will do 20-22mph but the handling is scary, nearly lost it with my mom and dad on it with me. It wants to drift all over the road and feels like it's tippy. It's stock height but has 20" tires on 10" rims that were factory pull off's from a 2020 drive 2. I bought it understanding the power tech AC motor was the most robust in the industry (stock) and was looking at adding the TAC 2 controller eventually, but not if this **** thing is unsafe.
Bell0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Get your alignment sorted out. And upgrade the rear shocks if this happened while people were on a rear seat (that wasnt mentioned).
Old 05-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
Bell0347
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I added a modz flip 4 rear seat and had the dealer add the HD springs during the refurb process. I had my wife and mother on the back, both less than 150lbs. My dad was in front with me, he's a big guy, maybe 280lbs. I'm about 200lbs. They told me that refurbishment included alignment, brake adjust, etc so I assumed that was all good. Everything feels tight, no rattles or play. Just searching other threads here, I will start by checking the toe on the front. It scared me though, I have driven dozens of carts on the course and a couple of lifted/modded carts of other brands and NEVER had one do that to me. My neighbor has a lifted yamaha and it handles great with 4 adults and a cargo carrier with a cooler on it.
Bell0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #10
jetfixr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon321 View Post
I just finished dialing in my new Navitas TAC2 on my Yamaha G29 Drive AC. Although it was certainly not inexpensive, I feel it is an incredible value, as it turned my 12 mph dog into a 35 mph BEAST. I ran through the neighborhood and watched everyone stop dead in their tracks and stare as I flew by at over 30 mph. That was truly fun
The installation was straightforward, but it was obvious that the settings were in need of work on the initial run. Acceleration was weak and top speed was about 22 mph. The tech support folks were very helpful in fine tuning the settings with me over the phone. We used the dealer app (provided by Navitas) on my phone to first load the appropriate profile for my cart. We then used the incredible app to record data from a trip around the block. I sent the data to Navitas with a touch on my cellphone screen, and Richard had a look at the data curves. He suggested a few tweaks. BOOM. Monster Cart!u
I know the price tag is a bit of a deterrent, but for the Yamaha Drive AC, this is the one single thing you can buy that will unleash this beast. After running it full blast for miles until the gauge read 48.4, I checked the batteries, cables, and motor, and everything was barely warm to the touch. I took this to be proof that the Drive AC has all it needs right from the factory to handle the upgrade. That is something to consider when it comes to the investment in the controller. The controller is all you need.
In short, I am totally satisfied with the TAC2 controller, and finally, with my G29 Drive AC. Mike C.
Now, of course, comes the test of time.
Do you have the part number for the controller kit you used? Navitas site is a bit confusing, I am looking for the 600A controller that would work on a 2018 drive2 ptv with the larger AC motor. Emailed Navitas but have not heard back.
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, controller, g-29, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha