lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G9 Not Running Properly

Check the plastic spacer behind the carb. Those crack mega easy and will cause those problems.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I woke this morning and no I have absolutely no spark (spark tester used). I have no idea about the electronics on this thing. Any help?

I'm thinking now that the spark was intermittent when it tried to run yesterday.

It has a brand new plastic spacer with no cracks.
Ahale22h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:58 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

See my earlier post.

Spark testers are junk. Use a valve cover bolt. And if that’s good use a timing light.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #14
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have a timing light but hate to admit that I'm not sure how to time a golf cart. I do have great spark, plenty of gas now so I have to think its timing or too much air. It will run strong on full choke for 10 or 15 seconds and then bogs down and eventually looses all of its RPMs. I have a new spacer and new tie downs on the air box. All new fuel hoses and clamps also???????
Old 05-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

I also like to take a timing light to it after that and run the motor. There’s no timing marks to reference so not looking at that, just make sure it’s flashing consistently. I’ve had bad ignitors that will spark for 30 seconds to a minute, then get erratic, then quit. But if you waited the time it took to pull the plug and check for spark, it was fine again.

Timing is not adjustable. If it ran before then your timing is fine. The only way the timing gets off is if you take the motor apart and don’t align the crankshaft to the camshaft correctly.

Please read this again.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #16
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK..... that's exactly what I was thinking in regards to the timing light. I just have to think at this point that I have an air mixture problem that I just cant find. I'm running a mid level octane gas, that wouldn't cause any issues would it? The cart smells real gassy when it does run for the 10 or 15 seconds.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Octane won’t affect anything.

It’s possible it’s a mix problem. Or that it’s loading up on fuel when it’s not running. Then when it does run shortly it’s crazy rich. Gotta start with the basics. Let’s make sure spark is good and consistent and steady when it stops running. If the timing light keeps flashing consistently when it stops running we can look at other things. But need to narrow that down first before you condemn the fuel supply, which is much harder to troubleshoot than just clamping a cable around the plug wire and watching a light flash (or not flash)

I went through the exact same thing when I first got my G9. And I could have sworn it wasn’t the ignitor because I replaced it. 4 times. With aftermarket ones. Ans they would all run great for 30 seconds or so, then spark would get intermittent for about 5 seconds and then stop all together. Once I realized that, I was able to fix the spark problem and never had any trouble again out of the cart
Old 05-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #18
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK.... that makes sense... I'll go out and try this today!
Old 05-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #19
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I just used the timing light. It was blinking very fast but about every 3 seconds or so there was a quick interruption of the light.

I pulled the positive and negative wires off of the coil and applied my volt meter on each terminal. It showed 1.5 ohms. If I understand correctly, it should have read between 3.7 ohms and 5.2 ohms. I'm assuming this is indicating a bad coil?

I'm not sure how to test the igniter but I'm researching it now.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:48 AM   #20
Jcole31
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 Yamaha G9 Troubles
Hello all, new to this forum but have had alot of help reading. I bought a g9 and have had trouble since day 1. It cranks but won't run right when it actually turns over. Parts I've replaced are as follows: gas tank fuel filter, inline fuel filter, fuel pump, mikuni carburetor, new carb spacer with no cracks after assembly, air filter(also made sure airbox seals up good), new muffler, replaced head gasket( had a leak out of it near oil dipstick), new starter(starter was bad when I bought it and didn't realize), came with new battery, tcu unit was replaced before I bought it, new secondary clutch with heavy torque spring since cart is lifted and it wouldn't go up any hills. I adjusted the valves to .004 with feeler gauge while they were both even at the top end of revolution and replaced valve cover gasket before putting it back together. I also noticed a knocking noise after adjustment and putting it back together so not sure what that's about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have come to a dead end with it.
Jcole31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb, gas, motor, pulse, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha