lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
Carts Plus
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 2016 Yamaha Drive YDRE

Hello all,
I have a 2016 Yamaha Drive 48v that is pushing my buttons! My issue is that the cart will run but only seems to go about 5 mph (guessing on speed). It takes off quickly but soon falls on its face. It will not go up any hills. It acts like it doesn’t have the power to climb at all. It will barely go on flat ground. At full throttle it surges/bucks. I have replaced the batteries (brand new Trojans, still having same issue), and I have also replaced the throttle sensor. No luck so far. Does this sound like a more severe issue? Maybe a controller or motor problem? Any suggestions on what I should test or replace would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Carts Plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2016 Yamaha Drive YDRE

Speed Sensor can do this. Check it by pushing the cart with key on. It should beep and resist the push if the speed sensor is working.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #3
Carts Plus
Not Yet Wild

With key on it will resist me pushing it.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
Carts Plus
Not Yet Wild

The cart doesn’t beep either. Not while in reverse either. I’m assuming previous owners disconnected it. Could that have an affect?
Old 09-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #5
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Disconnecting the backup buzzer will not effect the car's performance but the buzzer is a good indication of other things besides being in reverse.

I agree with Volt. I have had a disconnected/broken speed sensor/cracked magnet do this. I would describe it as a limp mode.

Back in the early G22 days it was common to unplug the speed sensor. This caused the car to run in open loop mode. It was pretty impressive.

Once the G29/Moric came around, the car responded differently in the open loop mode. Now it would still move but slowly.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If it resists when pushing, the speed sensor is working. The other possibilities are Motor brushes, bad solenoid (not likely here), a bad connection, or a failing Moric controller. I have two YDRE carts, a 2009 and a 2012 and both have had motor failures (hitachi motor sucks) and one had a controller failure. I have upgraded both to D&D motor, Alltrax controller, Lithium Leaf battery.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can confirm that, my '07 YDRE with a bad speed sensor worked only in limp mode and didn't resists when pushing it.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
Carts Plus
Not Yet Wild

I may just bite the bullet and change out the motor and controller at the same time. What are good combos to throw at these carts?
Old 09-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ouch! That's a $2000 fix for a $30 problem.
On the flip side, the $2000 fix has a great chance of fixing your problem
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #10
LPnTX
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts Plus View Post
I may just bite the bullet and change out the motor and controller at the same time. What are good combos to throw at these carts?
Call Don Plowman at Plowman's Carts, a site sponsor and talk to him about his Riot Kit. You won't be disappointed.
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, drive, yamaha, ydre
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha