lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
CESCALANTE
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Solenoid Troubleshooting - Clicks on and off

I have spent the last few days combing through threads trying to determine what is going on with my cart. Reading over other threads I was able to do some troubleshooting, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I order a new solenoid.

Its a 2007 Yamaha Drive YDRE V48 and it decided to stop working as I loaded it up on my trailer. Prior to the failure it was running great, with no noticeable issues.

- When I switch it from Tow to Run, It will click
- When I turn the key on, it will click
- When I press the accelerator when the key is one, it will clicks and a second or two later it clicks again. During the this, the cart does a slight rock or something. Its almost like it wants to move but doesn't bc the solenoid clicks again.

- I have check my batteries and they are all reading the 12.xx volts as they should be. Total voltage is the expected 48V
- I removed the (2) wires from the large posts on the solenoid and with the key off it reads 0 ohms. When I have the key on and accelerator pressed there is no change in ohms.
- With the solenoid connected, key on and in fwd I have pressed the accelerator while tapping the motor with a rubber mallet and there is no change.
- I can move the cart, but there is resistance.
- There is also no speaker for a buzzer or reverse notice.

Wondering if its safe to assume the solenoid is not good or is there anything else I should try before spending the money on a new one.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to paint a clear picture of what is going on.
CESCALANTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Solenoid Troubleshooting - Clicks on and off

Are you saying that you have 0 ohms between the two big posts both when energized and deenergized? It should be infinite when deenergized.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
CESCALANTE
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Forgive me, I'm "simple" when it comes to this type of electrical.

When the smaller posts are connected (as factory intended), the ohms reading at the larger posts was 0. It reads 0 when the cart is off and when its turned on and accelerator pressed.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #4
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You cant check for resistance with power in the circuit. It will blow the fuse in your meter or possibly damage your meter.

I am not inclined to believe that you have a bad solenoid just yet. First check for loose battery cables or cables that are ready to break.
Get the rear wheels off of the ground.
Check the voltage on the output side of the solenoid to ground with the pedal depressed. The input side should have your 48 volts.

The output side check confirms proper solenoid operation as well as what your batteries are doing as soon as apply a load.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
CESCALANTE
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, I will look over all the battery lines and check the output side as noted.

It might end up being this weekend, but will let you know what I find.

Thanks again
Old 01-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
CESCALANTE
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I was finally able to get the cart in the garage and checked everything over.

All the cables looked fine and I changed all the batteries individually to make sure I didn’t one that was causing an issue.

When I press the pedal the output side jumps to 47 volts then slowly goes down. As I release the pedal it again jumps to 47 volts and slowly decreases. I tried it many times and it wouldn’t maintain a steady voltage when the pedal was pressed.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #7
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm wondering about the battery pack. Voltage seems low.

“Total voltage is the expected 48V”

“output side jumps to 47 volts”
Attached Images
File Type: png SOC-new-print-002.png (28.0 KB, 0 views)
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
CESCALANTE
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yesterday when I checked everything it was reading 47.8 and the solenoid jumped up to match the input side. It took me 5 days to cycle through each of the batteries to charge them individually, I was thinking the reduced voltage had to do with the time between the first abs last one being charged.

Today the input side reacts 46.7 and the output side jumps to match and goes down from there. I plugged the cart into the charger and it just kicks it to”green” to indicate full. I don’t have a 48v maintainer, I just normally plug it in when my battery indicator ready about half full.

The cart is in an unheated garage and it was 10 degrees when I got up this morning. It’s been 30 and colder the last few weeks where I’m at.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #9
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How old is your battery pack? Might be a date code stamped on top of the lead terminal.
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:39 PM   #10
CESCALANTE
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The pack is all US Batteries, three of them are 2018 and the fourth is 2019.

Tags
click, solenoid, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha