lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2022, 07:50 PM   #1
Cmoore8
Not Yet Wild

Smile G1 will not turn off

Hey everyone, I have 1981 g1 that I picked up recently and am trying to learn about it and diagnose the issues I am having at the same time. I replaced the forward solenoid yesterday and now as soon as the battery is being hooked up it sparks pretty bad and the motor starts when the key is in the off position. I turn it to the forward position and throttle response is there and will move, but the immediate draw on the battery is concerning. I unhooked the terminals quickly to keep from furthering a problem. Before I replaced the solenoid It would not start or attempt to until it was in gear and you hit the throttle. You would turn the key to reverse and would have no issues. You put it in forward though and the belt would turn slow and would not start the motor. After attempting to clean the contacts on the forward solenoid and still having no luck I bought the solenoid thinking it would fix the problem but now I’m having different issues. I’m stumped right now and wanted to see if anyone has dealt with the same issue or had any advice. Thanks!
Cmoore8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2022, 09:02 PM   #2
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 will not turn off

Ok…first things first.
As I understand it: When you connect the battery, the Starter/Generator (SG) begins to spin. This probably means you have 12 volts on the yellow wire to the solenoid activating it. Let’s start there (no pun intended). Unplug the yellow wire and see if it stops the SG. For 12v to get to the solenoid, it has to pass through the relay which is activated by the pedal switch AND then through the ignition switch, so it’s an interesting problem…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0675DCFA-EBF3-4F15-B192-29352F92DB2D.jpg (106.0 KB, 0 views)
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
Cmoore8
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info! I did try unhooking yellow wire on the fw solenoid and SG is still turning the motor. I attempted to add a picture to show how everything is wired. Let me know if it does not pull up.

84CA3EF0-8D61-4AE9-BA6A-03AB91F76B80.jpg

E650478B-ABFF-469C-899E-F89410B6323B.jpg

4FD76183-439F-4331-B1DD-6262F08D2795.jpg
Old 01-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

[QUOTE=Cmoore8;1871100]Thanks for the info! I did try unhooking yellow wire on the fw solenoid and SG is still turning the motor. I attempted to add a picture to show how everything is wired. Let me know if it does not pull up.

The pics are coming up, but they’re small for some reason and when I try to zoom in, they blur. But I can see enough to suspect wiring is crossed up. I’ll do some looking at your pics, but try again to get a better pic loaded.
More to follow…
Old 01-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

This may not have anything to do with it, but When i replaced my solenoid i used a White Rogers brand. I think i had to turn it around. Something about the open and closed ends being opposite versus original.
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #6
Cmoore8
Not Yet Wild

Lightbulb Re: G1 will not turn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
This may not have anything to do with it, but When i replaced my solenoid i used a White Rogers brand. I think i had to turn it around. Something about the open and closed ends being opposite versus original.
That’s the only thing I haven’t done that I’ve considered so far. The reverse solenoid that was already on there is a rogers and the t2 terminals face toward the battery. The forward solenoid that seemed to be oem faced back toward the cdi box. When I put the new rogers forward solenoid on the t2 terminals are facing opposite directions between forward and reverse, but I wasn’t sure if this has to do with where someone before rewired it a certain way.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Im by far not an Expert and AGELE55 will confirm, but i think every solenoid has the letters O and a C on the ends that are open versus closed. At lease in my old work and reviews, that is what i remember.
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:33 PM   #8
Cmoore8
Not Yet Wild

[quote=agele55;1871132]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore8 View Post
thanks for the info! I did try unhooking yellow wire on the fw solenoid and sg is still turning the motor. I attempted to add a picture to show how everything is wired. Let me know if it does not pull up.

The pics are coming up, but they’re small for some reason and when i try to zoom in, they blur. But i can see enough to suspect wiring is crossed up. I’ll do some looking at your pics, but try again to get a better pic loaded.
More to follow…
562A3250-18EB-4823-8CAA-0A376247F782.jpg

21B945D1-CAEE-4883-AAD4-AE5519A60389.jpg

C56DA522-3C38-4774-8B44-44710BC1C27C.jpg
Old 01-17-2022, 12:39 PM   #9
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
Im by far not an Expert and AGELE55 will confirm, but i think every solenoid has the letters O and a C on the ends that are open versus closed. At lease in my old work and reviews, that is what i remember.
Sir, you are brilliant! Yes, having the FWD solenoid in backwards would immediately spin the SG! The solenoid studs should be marked as NO and NC = normally open & normally closed. By being in backwards, the normally open contacts are now closed so it thinks you want to go for a ride.

Here’s a super simplified sketch of the fat wire layout. Used along with the overall schematic I sent the other day, you should be able to trace where all the fat wires are hooked to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F431BFB0-27C6-4FE9-BF09-48D34104A054.jpg (152.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:38 PM   #10
Cmoore8
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: G1 will not turn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Sir, you are brilliant! Yes, having the FWD solenoid in backwards would immediately spin the SG! The solenoid studs should be marked as NO and NC = normally open & normally closed. By being in backwards, the normally open contacts are now closed so it thinks you want to go for a ride.

Here’s a super simplified sketch of the fat wire layout. Used along with the overall schematic I sent the other day, you should be able to trace where all the fat wires are hooked to.
Thank y’all! Now I just need to find out how to get out of work early so I can test it out lol. I will update on it later!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha