lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default The Best Performance Modifications

You got bitten by the speed bug didn't you? You read all about the governor adjustment and now that's getting old. Do you want sheer power and speed?

First, remove the 1/2" bolt from the input shaft on the transaxle that holds the driven clutch on the shaft. Remove the driven clutch and key.

Second, remove the drive clutch from the engine. You may need a puller to do it.

Third, package up your drive and driven clutches and send them off to Cart Parts Plus (1.888.861.2640) for driven clutch machining, installation of the torque spring in your driven clutch, and installation of the +200 RPM engagement spring in your drive clutch.

Fourth, remove your fan cover and cooling shroud. Remove your flywheel from your engine and install the timing advance key for better throttle pickup and response.

Fifth, remove the carburetor from your engine and install the FE290 carburetor jet kit.

Sixth, install the K&N Intake for more air flow and power.

Seventh, remove your RPM limiter. It's the black box on front of the engine. It's held behind a bracket by two 10mm bolts.

Eighth, remove your head (don't forget to order a new head gasket from Cart Parts Plus) and send it to Cart Parts Plus to have them mill it down for higher compression.

Ninth, install a tachometer to keep an eye on your engine's RPMs.

Tenth, install a high-volume fuel pump to feed the newly-created beast.

Eleventh, order two fuel filters, one oil filter, one spark plug, and one drive belt.

If you're looking for even more and your pocketbook is healthy, try an 18hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Big Block Kit or 23hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Big Block Kit.

Last edited by NO NO NO E-Z-GO!; 12-01-2007 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Forgot about the high-volume fuel pump
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

Default Re: The Best Performance Modifications

Hey NO NO that tach will work on my g16 right?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Yep. It's universal.

They have a digital one for $39.99 but it's not nearly as cool as the analog one. IMO...
Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
nmoye1
Not Yet Wild

If someone was to add the aftermarket flywheel key,carb jet,k&n air filter,how much of a horsepower gain would it be?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Maybe 1-2 horsepower...and that's a big MAYBE. You will notice a big torque gain, though.

I forgot to mention the milling of the cylinder head. I'd say you could get 1-2 horsepower more with the milled head, K&N intake, carburetor jets, and timing advance key.

However, you have to get that power to the ground, so I'd highly recommend the clutch modifications too!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
nmoye1
Not Yet Wild

Ok,I just want to make sure I am clear on the modifications.If I add the timing key,carb. kit,k&n air filter,both clutch springs and milling,along with shaving the head 50 thousandths,boring the cylinder over 50mm and a valve job.How much horsepower do you think I will gain.I am hopefully looking at raising it close to 15.I really don't want to spend the extra money for the 18 hp Vanguard.Is there any other suggestions that I could do to modify the FE290.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

15 out of a FE290 is also OUT OF the question. It would take more to get 15hp out of a FE290 than the 18hp costs.

Only take 10-25 thousandths off the head.

18hp is the best upgrade you can do. The FE290 is, for comparison's sake, a rice-burning I4. You can make it go pretty good, but the torque of two cylinders still isn't there and why spend so much on it when an American V8 is available?

You could get 15 horsepower out of a FE350 engine, but they cost as much as the Vanguards.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

I do know you can get 15 hp out of a stock Yamaha engine, but Im not sure if that would cheaper than a 18hp.

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/hp_357-motor.html
Old 11-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

That is from an engine that already makes 11.4hp, though. Getting 15 out of an engine built for 9.5 (FE290, Yamaha 300/301) is a bit of a stretch. Besides, v-twin torque is not attainable from anything but a v-twin.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:00 AM   #10
Subarumouse
Gone Wild

Hello No No & Co,

I don't know if your engine's have pressure lubrication, i think its (like a GX 390) splashlube.

If so don't go over 5000 / 5500 revs.
If you do, your engine will tear apart in no time.
In the racekartengines there is a centrifugal lube set, that allows you 6500 or even more.
Also take completely out the revlimiter IN the engine, not ty it up.
In the GX Honda's it has the bad habit (when overrev's) to brake in 1000 pieces and therefor ruins the engine.

Sofar No No is right.
Much more power = V twin or other bigger engine with pressurelubrication and more cc's.
Also becouse of the need of more torque in your carts (weight....)

Greetz from NL

Benno
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car