lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2022, 12:09 AM   #1
BALBZ
Not Yet Wild

Default What charger for BigBattery 48v HSKY

As the title says I am in need of a charger for my BigBattery 48v HSKY-LiFePO4-103Ah battery.

I am building my 01 DS and need to get all my components here to figure out how I'm going to lay out and mount everything. I have only found three options for a charger and hope some of you more experienced people can give me input before I purchase one. These are what I have found.

I see a little negativity towards the BigBattery charger on here with the fan staying on and there is really no information on BigBattery site on this charger. With that said I am leaning towards this charger since they are pairing it with the battery they sell.
https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-ip65-charger/

This charger also looks to be a good choice.
https://dakotalithium.com/product/48...ron-batteries/

And this is the last one I was able to find
https://www.treelinepowersystems.com...ger_p_123.html

I plan to permanently mount this charger onboard and connect it directly to my bus bars so all I have to do is plug in an extension cord to charge. As far as I know there is no reason why this can't be done correct?

I am new to all of this so please give me your knowledge and opinions. All help is welcome and encouraged .

This is my build thread for anyone interested in advising on and/or following my progress with the build https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=182503
BALBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What charger for BigBattery 48v HSKY

I did a custom Schauer build for my application (details in signature); you may want to touch base with them and see what they say (I am not sure if any Site Sponsors handle Schauer; I would contact them if they do).
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #3
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

It depends on the amps you want. The waterproof and new chargers don't have the always on fan anymore but are only 12 amps.

If you are confident the charger will be protected from water you can probably skip ip65.

In my opinion, and having owned multiple lithium packs and chargers, a sealed 20 amp (1800w) charger is the best option. I'll see if I can find the link to the one folks have had good success with here, but you could also check your locally owned battery shop and they can help you out.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:53 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

This would be a good option. With a lot of high amp chargers, you are going to need special AC wiring to handle the current. This one will work with household current.

https://www.amazon.com/58-4V-Charger...s%2C51&sr=8-57
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #5
Ronno6
Gone Wild

I have no issue with the BB charger...
I have it connected to a wall timer that cuts off after a preset time.

EZ-Peezy.........
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #6
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALBZ View Post
As the title says I am in need of a charger for my BigBattery 48v HSKY-LiFePO4-103Ah battery.

I see a little negativity towards the BigBattery charger on here with the fan staying on and there is really no information on BigBattery site on this charger. With that said I am leaning towards this charger since they are pairing it with the battery they sell.
https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-ip65-charger/

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=182503
I disagree, I have a HSKY along with their waterproof charger and the fan does not stay on the whole time. I bought mine in December of 2021 and received it in Jan 2022. I have charged the cart about 4 times so far, each time I have checked and the fan has not stayed on as others have claimed. Maybe becuase I purchased the waterproof version is better than the standard one?

I would call big battery, I feel like if your are purchasing a battery with a 10 year warranty you are better off using their chargers in case a issue were to arise in the future
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #7
BALBZ
Not Yet Wild

Went ahead and purchased the charger from BigBattery. Those of you that are using them did you mount them onboard and if so how did you connect it? I see the charger comes with Anderson connector but I was going to connect it to my +/- bus bars.

I see they have a 2to1 Anderson cord but I don’t want all the extra wire in there.
BALBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
Ronno6
Gone Wild

I mounted my charger to an aluminum plate and installed it vertically just inside the cart body at the front of the compartment on the driver's side.
I have temporarily used the Y cable, but will eventually have to connect to a bus bar when I install my Renology monitor. It will be moved to the passenger side and mounted to an electric component plate along with the controller shunt, 48v to 12v reducer and 48v and 12v bus bars....

Mine is not the sealed charger and the fan does stay on as long as there is AC power connected. Hence the use of a wall timer.....
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car