lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
amanda1
Not Yet Wild

Default newbie needs help

Hello. My name Is amanda. My husband and I run a wildlife center in Florida. We have a 1993 gas club cart. I use it to load up and feed wildlife we are rehabbing. I have a bum leg and the golf cart was very helpful until about the last year. Problem? you have to hold the gas pedal just right and usually takes sveral minutes to find the right position for the cart to start. My husband just put in a new starter generator and a new battery. we still dont know why the cart does this. But the new battery and parts did nothing :(I would be very appreciative for any suggestions as it's hard to hold hay and romane lettuce and drive the 4 wheeler with one hand if the cart won't go. PLEASE HELP!
amanda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: newbie needs help

Does the cart do absolutely nothing in all positions but one specific position? I mean, does it sit there dead until you find the sweet spot and then take off and run? To me, it sounds like a check of your microswitches is in order. There is a black box mounted to the driver side frame rail right near the air intake box. Remove the cover of the box and (with the key OFF) have your husband press the gas as you watch the cam move. You will see what I am talking about when you get that far. How much do you have to move the gas pedal before it allows the metal tabs on the micro switches to release? You should hear a little bit of a click when they engage. One (I believe it's the top one) tells the engine when to start turning over and the other tells it when do allow ignition. They should be perfectly synchronized and move in unison. If they don't engage until the pedal is down a good ways, the rod that actuates the cam from the gas pedal needs to be lengthened. Loosen the two 11?mm nuts on it and turn the end until the top of the pedal moves about 1.5" before it starts turning over.

If that is not the culprit, the solenoid may need to be checked. Turn the key ON. Put the cart in maintenance mode (pull the yellow cam on the back of the F-N-R lever out and turn it about 1/3 of a turn until it falls back into place. Put the cart in Neutral. You will need a test light or multimeter for this. Either will work because we are only seeing if current is making it to the starter. Ground the multimeter or test light to the frame and touch the red lead (or light) to the terminal on the starter that has the fat white wire on it. It should not come on. Hold it there (be absolutely sure your sleeves and arms are out of the way of moving parts) and have someone press the gas. The light should light up or the multimeter should read around 12 volts when the solenoid engages and sends current to the starter.

I have some used microswitches that work (I removed them in the installation of my Big Block because they are no longer needed) that I can send you to try if they are the culprit... which is the direction I'm leaning to.

Where did you get the starter? If it came from Buggies Unlimited, it could be the problem. I would recommend talking to one of our site sponsors (they're listed in my signature) about parts if you need any.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
amanda1
Not Yet Wild

Thnak you so much for your informative answer. MY husband thinks it's the cylanoid now. we will get a new one. I'll let you know what happens!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

welcome to BGW
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

As Groundpounder said, WELCOME TO BGW!!

Solenoids are not an area to cut corners! Get a reliable one from one of our site sponsors. BU ones will work for a few days and then you'll be idle again.

They are also NOT cheap. You may want to start with the $6 micro switches before doing anything else. They tell the solenoid when to send current to the starter. So, if it's not being told what to do correctly, it may not even be the culprit. That's just my $0.02, though...
Old 12-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

Welcome to the forum! And we are gratefull for your donations to wildlife and nature. Thanks!
Yamaha4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have another Club Car owner AND another girl posting here. Your work sound very interesting.

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
amanda1
Not Yet Wild

thank you for the warm welcome :0 My husband replaced the cylanoid today and now it starts everytime! he also did a gas treatment. Now the only problem is it stalls every 5 seconds, it keeps going just stalls! any ideas on that? We are going to painting it as well. I really like the red color I just saw someone have but hubby wants green so I may have to paint it while he;s at work :) If anyone is interested, here is my website

turtlerescueusa.com

Amanda
Old 12-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

What do you mean by "stalls but keeps going?" I would recommend pulling the carburetor and cleaning all the jets and passageways, as well as filling the tank up with some regular gas from a Shell station. Really run the heck out of it until this tank of gas is gone. If possible, run it for extended amounts of time continuously and at reasonable speeds. I'm not saying tach it out at 5000 RPM for 10 minutes, but give it a good running.

Please elaborate on the stalling you speak of so we can assist you better.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
amanda1
Not Yet Wild

ok let me try to expalin this better. The cart goes fine then slows then speeds up then slows with my foot in the same position!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car