Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > For Sale > Golf Carts and Parts
Golf Carts and Parts *No Commercial Ads

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2021, 03:03 AM   #11
jzemeocala
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Wanted, dead Curtis 1204 controller

howdy everyone (first time poster, long time solder junkie) im actually in the process of rebuilding a 1204-410 (that odd duck with the reversed throttle pot pb-15).

anyways, this is my first merry go round with a EV controller board so I have been documenting it on my google drive (PM for link, I havent been a member long enough

A friend just recently bought the golf cart (its a western and we are still trying to date it if anyone has any advice) and I Knew something in the controller was fried from the giant sparks that started flying when I hooked up the battery like it was shorting out.

Sure enough, after I cracked the epoxy top off it had about 100ml of water in it and enough white corrosion sediment to fill up Keith Richards coke ring....... so far I have managed to separate and clean the boards, repair and replace a few obviously fried parts and traces
word of warning: these boards are old and the coppers adhesive is delicate (to say the least)

I highly recommend using a variable temp solder station or at least wire up a dimmer dial on your iron and START LOW, otherwise the traces will separte from the board faster than a failed celebrity marriage.
Anyways, I tested it last night with partial success ( instead of a dead short on the battery terminals it seems to at least pass the voltage) but I have no throttle control or j1 control, it merely runs wide open as soon as the ksi is engaged. I assume the logic board and/or one of the master MOSFET/s is fried so it is back on the bench. I found the patent US4626750 to be very helpful as well.

Soooooo........ I have two questions for my fellow tech nerds here on BGW

1) Does anyone have any experiences with the current fault I have that can direct me toward any particular components before i trace the entire signal path?
2) I have noticed a fair amount of threads related to people trying to acquire and or repair 1204 controllers and the whole device seems relatively simple IMHO.....would anyone be interested in me producing any schematics, gerber files, or clone PCBs?

[note to mods: I apologize if question 2 is out of line with any forum rules, Im just trying to gauge interest, but i will edit my post accordingly If it is in violation of any rules]
jzemeocala is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > For Sale > Golf Carts and Parts