lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: can i make a resistor coil for an old ds?

Welding supply stores carry different size gas welding rods. I would try stainless. To get the correct speed you may have to adjust the number of turns of coils if the wire is not the proper size.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #12
greg-g
Gone Wild

Geez nicrome wire and McMaster Carr has many sizes
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:11 AM   #13
greg-g
Gone Wild

nichrome wire
Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #14
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need the same metal as different metals will heat up differently and the coil size and length. Can't you find a golf cart graveyard?
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #15
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Anyone know what they are made from.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I am not sure but I bet it's Nichrome. Any normal wire will not have enough resistance. Nichrome is used for heating elements and that is what you want.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #17
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Find a guy that is converting his cart or upgrading would be the best option, why is it I see this so often here and when you need one none available LOL.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think You are better off installing the 2nd speed coil in place of the broken 1st speed.

Even though Club Car calls it the 1st speed coil, in reality the current passes through all of the resistors in series in 1st speed.

The difference between the 4 and 6 coils when in series with all of the other coils is likely not to be very noticeable.

If You try to make your own using 'Resistance Wire' (Nichrome is a brand name of resistance wire), not only You need to find the right alloy mix used, but you need the correct length of wire or You may introduce more error than just using the 2nd speed coil that You said is available.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #19
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

server1 buggiesunlimited com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65410#p437996

Postby shadowman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:06 pm

the best way to say this is no matter how you go about upgrading its the resistor coild that are gonna be your weak link and source of problems.......best advice is either try and sell cart and put money to a controller cart or convert resistor cart to controller cart.......your ahead of the game with a 48 volt charger but you,ll still need a 48 volt charge receptical along with a controller, a pot box, keep your 36 volt motor it will work at 48 volts in fact it should give you 30% more speed and torque..........pbut please do it right or you won,t be a happy camper........just my opinion from doing so many and being around carts that were done right and carts done wrong................................. :cool:
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #20
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I think You are better off installing the 2nd speed coil in place of the broken 1st speed.

Even though Club Car calls it the 1st speed coil, in reality the current passes through all of the resistors in series in 1st speed.

The difference between the 4 and 6 coils when in series with all of the other coils is likely not to be very noticeable.

If You try to make your own using 'Resistance Wire' (Nichrome is a brand name of resistance wire), not only You need to find the right alloy mix used, but you need the correct length of wire or You may introduce more error than just using the 2nd speed coil that You said is available.
True but #2 coil is .66% smaller 4turns vs 6turns when buying Nichrome look at the resistance per ft. (which is the makeup) using a good ohm meter you should be able to make an exact copy and start selling them (cause you will need to buy more than you need for one job)

frankly I find it hard to believe it's that critical
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car