lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: MY Melex 212 Before and After

Live axle issues: I ran across a guy that sells these sprag clutches for wheel mounts and eliminates turning issues. I didn't know what it was until he explained it. If I had known about these in the beginning it may have been very useful. Of course, if I was a better welder then maybe I could make a frame for an axle with a differential, etc. At this point it, I think it would take more money to change my axle set up versus go with a sprag sprocket. Here is a picture from the website, http://www.staton-inc.com/store/inde...roduct&id=2027.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0330.jpg (66.9 KB, 0 views)
MELEXconVERSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #12
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sprags, usually only work one way. You will have positive traction going forward [both wheels] and nothing in reverse. ALSO, unless you have brakes at the wheels, NO brakes.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Sprags, usually only work one way. You will have positive traction going forward [both wheels] and nothing in reverse. ALSO, unless you have brakes at the wheels, NO brakes.
Valid points. The brake issue was a big deterrent for me as I already have a brake on the axle, and not real excited to reconfigure all of that.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #14
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

For a chain guide, see if you can hork one off a dirt bike or a little race quad. You will need a guide for the same number chain as you are using. A little strap iron and some high density plastic and you could fab one but it is easier to get one already made. If you are set on a live axle and a fixed motor, you need to build a swingarm style suspension for the rear axle. The pivot point needs to be right behind the motor. Look at race quads or motorbikes for a visual. That way the shaft centers stay the same distance apart and chain stays tight. Keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I believe I have a semi functional swinging arm, but didn't realize that is what it was. I installed make shift torsion bar with heim bolts and rod to reduce axle wrap. However, the torsion bars are on the outide where the leaf springs are located. I had originally thought of using pillow blocks to hhang my engine frame from. What I could do is get 2 pillow blocks and attach the them with steel and pivot them of the engine mounting frome. Good points, let me know what you think. Here is a pic of my torsion bars and my original engine fram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0244.jpg (188.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9911.jpg (109.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #16
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

That second picture is my original engine frame idea. I didn't end up going that route bc i was afraid of overloading the axle with weight. However, your point is spot on about the swing arm and my torsion bars probably won't hack it. I think i can attach some pillow blocks and then use pinion bolts with Lowes metal to make a pivoting swing arm off the axle.

I may draw a picture and post it on here if that is helpful.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #17
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Now you are on a better track. What diameter and grade is is your axle shaft? Also since you will have 2 competing arcs of travel with the springs and the engine cradle you will have to devise a sort of double link or sliding pivot in front of the engine to allow it to move without binding.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #18
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Now you are on a better track. What diameter and grade is is your axle shaft? Also since you will have 2 competing arcs of travel with the springs and the engine cradle you will have to devise a sort of double link or sliding pivot in front of the engine to allow it to move without binding.
I think I am following you. However, at this point I am going to stick with the static engine frame and mount, BUT I like the idea of a swing arm. I plan to get afew more pillow blocks and use pinon bolts to keep the axle and engine true to each other.

The axle is a 1 inch, 54" long AZUSA flex proof axle. Here is a diagram I drew of the swing arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0365.jpg (103.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1837.JPG (50.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2707.JPG (559.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #20
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exactly what you need! Beautiful work Scotty! The only thing is you will put pillow block bearings instead of U bolts at the axle.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex