lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
BigDaddy12t
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help with new cart

First off, let me start by saying that I dont know anything about electric carts, and am pretty much dumb when it comes to anything electrical. I bought a 96 electric EZGO TXT a while back. The batteries werent in it, but they were new this past summer, and I got a pretty good deal on the cart, or so I thought. I have had the body off the past couple of sweeks, and have painted it, new windshield, new lights, new rear seat, so I have pretty much gone thru it all. I installed the batteries yesterday, after texting them, and they were all fully charged. Hooked everything up, and went to test it, and nothing!!! Lights worked, but that was it. Then I found a wire coming from the forward/Reverse handle, that wasnt plugged in. Plugged it in, and it worked. Was very pleased with the speed, and take off. Anyways, came into work today, and now it wont do anything. Tested all batteries again, and were all reading above 36 volts. (should ad that I had a guy I work with test them, since I am an idiot when it comes to that). We are at a loss as to what might be wrong. I took the cover off to check connections on motor, and the motor is HOT! Anyone have any ideas?? My buddy thinks the motor is junk, but I think he is reaching too. I just dont understand why it worked yesterday, and now today, nothing. Sorry for being so long winded.
BigDaddy12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
BigDaddy12t
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need help with new cart

Anyone???
Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Was the motor hot only after trying to get it to run? Or was the motor hot from just sitting?

If the motor was hot from just sitting, I would disconnect them until you can do more trouble shooting. Sounds like it is drawing power continuously. You should probably look up a wiring diagram for your cart in the stickies, to double check that your wires are connected in the proper places.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 96 Ezgo came in 2 drive systems. Series and DCS.
Since you have wires on the F&R I suspect you also have a run/Maintenance switch on the speed controller cover. If yes it is a DCS cart. IF no - it is a Series cart.

Is the motor hot while sitting? If yes, disconnect the the solenoid cable going to the controller and recharge the pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
BigDaddy12t
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The 96 Ezgo came in 2 drive systems. Series and DCS.
Since you have wires on the F&R I suspect you also have a run/Maintenance switch on the speed controller cover. If yes it is a DCS cart. IF no - it is a Series cart.

Is the motor hot while sitting? If yes, disconnect the the solenoid cable going to the controller and recharge the pack.
Thank You! It does have the run/maintenance switch on the cover, so it must be a DCS Cart. The motor was hot just sitting yesterday, so I disconnected the batteries. When you say to recharge the pack, are you saying plug in the charger that came with it, and charge them that way?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t View Post
When you say to recharge the pack, are you saying plug in the charger that came with it, and charge them that way?
Yes.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Determine if the motor is hot from running or hot from sitting overnight. Your post is not clear. If the pack is only 36v it is empty and voltage will sag significantly in use causing very high amperage draw and resulting in even a good motor getting hot. Hope this helps

Batteries should always be kept above their nominal voltage like 36v or 48v

Have your technician put a voltmeter on the pack and watch the reading as the go pedal is depressed. Does the voltage drop? If yes, how much? If no, the trouble may be in the solenoid activation circuit. Does the solenoid click when you try to go?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Charge your batteries, let them rest 12 hours or more, then check each battery and the pack, and compare with attached.

"Tested all batteries again, and were all reading above 36 volts." tells us it is either completely dead, completely charged, or anywhere in between.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C U state of charge chart.jpg (59.3 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO