lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

Default Any way to modify the steering or tighten suspension?

We have a new i40l for about a month now. These things are hard to keep in stock in my area so we were only able to test drive the non lifted. Only nag about the golf cart is what I would think be the steering or suspension, kinda hard to pinpoint what it could be. At around 25mph and above the steering seems hyper sensitive where basically I kinda have to lightly adjust to keep the cart straight. If you tend to do more then the whole thing have a lot of roll. Im sure the roll is due to the suspension but coming from a club car with aftermarket lift the steering was planted in that cart. If I wanted that cart to go straight then I simply pointed that way. With the Icon I'm making slight back n forth motions. Does not seem like there's play in steering and the roll does not happen at slower speeds (which is weird as I would think the suspension would be the same regardless of speed) so hoping there's a tweak that can be done.

It came with offroad tires and Im guessing 10 inch rims (whatever stock from the factory) so a lot of rubber, would going to 14 inch rims and street tires tighten this up?
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
CSS899
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Any way to modify the steering or tighten suspension?

I own an I40L also. Have noticed at faster speeds the steering is very sensitive and the cart can get squirley. I upped the pressure in my tires to 28psi and it seemed to help some. I think being lifted with off road style tires doesn't help. Will probably change to more of a street style tire when I wear these out.
CSS899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

My take on this topic is that I felt the same when I drove my 40L for the first few times. I didn't even want to let my kids drive it for this very reason. I have just changed my driving style. My previous cart wasn't lifted and had 10 inch wheels with low profile tires. With this new cart I always have two hands on the wheel (they fit comfortably on the two spokes) which makes driving it at higher speeds seem more under control. I think the only adjustment you could make without doing major changes would be to purchase tires.
thelandposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:52 PM   #4
Itech
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I have the same issue. Could it be the toe in is not correct?
Itech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
ATrain
Gone Wild

After I put spacers on my cart, at speed it feels better.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
roosters
Not Yet Wild

I did see a post in another thread about adding wheel spacers to widen stance which they claimed helped the corner diving and higher speed wander. I may try that.
roosters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
Stano7
Getting Wild

I can atest. 2" wheel spacers per ATrain's post:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=174370

Feels much more stable, better cornering, and minimal speed wandering even at 30 mph. Definitely worth it.
Stano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
blazer61473
Not Yet Wild

Spacers are a life saver I put 2.5” in front and 2.0” in rear. Make a huge difference
blazer61473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #9
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer61473 View Post
Spacers are a life saver I put 2.5” in front and 2.0” in rear. Make a huge difference
On one of my carts,I accidently ordered 2 instead of 4 and put them on the back while I waited for the other two and holy crap it was dangerous when I had it loaded full of people at speed. Speed wobbles big-time.

I should have done the reverse like you did.

Do you notice anything odd with a wider front? I'd think more stable.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

I followed what most people did and got the 2inch spaces for all four tires. I did test the spacers out with just them on the front. In my neighborhood the streets have a pitch to them for the water. It's pretty steep and at full speed without spacers you can feel the whole cart shift as you transfer from one side to the other (and if not prepared your normal reaction is to counter steer).

With just spacers in the front the back does the shift. You don't feel inclined to counter steer but it is still a weird noticeable shift.

With both spacers on, the cart still has a shift but it's so minute, definitely does not feel like it's going to tip at all.

The only downside now is that with 2 inch spacers all around mud/water will definitely sling up the side. Now just need flared fenders of some kind.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon