lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery question.

Two quick questions. (I know I have been wearing ya'll out! Much appriciated!) First, how full should my batteries be? Just covering the plates or closer to the mouth of the cap? And second, as many of you know I just bought an 87 CC, it came with a charger, however the charger's timer doesn't work and as far as I can tell will not shut off on it's own. I ran the batteries down to 75% (as recommended by Scottyb for new batteries for the first 10-12 charges) and charged overnight (about 11 hours) this morning the pack is reading 39.7v... this is above what 100% is on the "state of charge" chart on the forum! Am I overcharging the batteries or is this normal? Thanks, Just don't want to hurt anything and break the batteries in right. By the way, I tested the cart out yesterday on some steep slopes around the house and was VERY impressed with this old buggie's torque. I can't wait to see what 4g wires will do. She would either climb the hill or spin both 22" tires trying! Never expected that kind of performance out of the old of a cart! I checked it out frequently and nothing seemed to be getting hot at all... minus the resistor coils. Sorry for the long post! just nice to have someone else excited about this... wife and friends try, but I am pretty sure they are tired of listening!
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery question.

I am sure somewhere in one of your threads I posted a battery break-in proceedure.... You need to following it to the letter I am starting to break-in a set for a customer because I had to replace the batts, OBC, & Charger on a cart.... Charge the batteries before use. Let the charger finish!!!! This may take 12 hours or more. The charge time will decrease as the batteries break in. My batteries have taken near 12 hours each time so far.... My first draw down was done with a voltmeter attached to the pack sitting next to me on the seat and a gps in my hand ... that's as much info as I can gather. 6 miles of hills in about 30 minutes took her down enough to recharge. I saw 47.5 uphill. They settled at 49.5 and the charger ran on the finish cycle well into the night

About filling. the well or vent should not be filled in fact the water should be 1/2 to 1/4 inch below the vent tube and above the plates. If you fill up to the tubes the gases produced during charges will force the water out of the top.

Pay attention There is gonna be a test.

NOW... what did i just say?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You have given me great break-in information! I am doing my best to follow it to the t. I also used a voltmeter, and kept driving her until it was at the reading equal to 75%.

I know you say, "Charge until complete", my question is if my charger's timer is not functioning, does this mean simply watch the needle or will it just stop doing it's thing at a certain point regardless of the timer?

What do you think about the high voltage from the pack after charging overnight. I hope I am not irritating you, Just want to do the right thing!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you have an old dial timer charger with a broken timer, it is possible to over-cook the batts. It is also possible to under charge ????? Maybe you need to get your charger repaired or updated to automatic statis.... I do not think you can do the best possible jab with the batts as you said you wanted to do without a properly functioning charger.

Right after charging you will get Falsely High readings. Batteries must sit and the charge settles down in an hour or 2 to a more realistic #.... This surface charge which dissapates is normal.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is there a way (is it worth it) to fix my charger? I have a good friend that is an electrical engineer, so it wouldn't be too tough for him to repair. I am not sure if replacement parts are available for it? Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2735.jpg (65.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2736.jpg (104.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

12 hour manual timer is $52. There is a toatally automatic conversion but it costs as much as a used charger $200-250.

Fix yours or buy an auto? I would get the automatic lester
Old 02-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty! Is there a way I can watch the meter (on the charger) in the meantime to tell when the charge is complete? It starts up between the 20 and 30 amp mark and slowly drops. Is there a point at which it drops to that I can tell the charge is complete. I e-mailed lester's tech support about a replacement timer, but if that is just to make it shut off after a certain amount of hours, I can set a timer in the house and do thatmyself. I'm sure I will end up getting an auto... I just have spent about $1600 in two weeks. It's starting to sting a little.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I suppose there is a volt reading but I don't know what it is ? Never caught a reading on one just as it shut off? For now I would let it run 12 hrs, then 10, then 8 for a few cycles.... that long low charge is VERY important. eventually i see them average about 5-7 hours ... of course all this depends upon so many factors It is hard to say what you should do confidently
Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

When I do buy an automatic, does it need to be a 25amp as well. I see one on ebay with a local shop for $275 new... it's a 36v 21amp. Will this work? Also would you be nervous buying a used auto?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can get a wall plug timer to plug the charger into for that matter, I can get you the aftermarket timer if you don't find it at lester...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car