lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
skm2006
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Massive Steering Wheel Vibration

On my 2004 CC IQ. What could be causing this? I have a 6" lift and 23's.

It vibrated when I bought it, and I took it to a guy who adjusted tire pressure and camber and that seemed to help. Now it's worse than ever before.

I dont ride it very often, could it be flat spots on the tires from sitting?

Help!

Thanks
skm2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Massive Steering Wheel Vibration

By vibration I assume you are talking about tire bounce ( like auto tires when unbalanced ) that occurs when you are going down road and that gets worse as speed goes up, or are you talking about slight twisting back and forth motion of steering wheel while driving? The later should have been solved by wheel alignment that you had done.
New tires are being shipped some times come all bent around each other to cut down on space and this can cause tire unbalanced condition. It makes the tire out of round that you can check by jacking up each wheel and placing something solid close to tread and rotate tire to see. Warming most tires that have sat for periods of time will have a flat spot where tire rested on ground, so take cart out and warm tires up good before doing this test. In south Texas this should only take a few minutes.
Then check in the same manner the wheel bead on side wall for out of round as some after market wheels are not very well machined from manufacturer.
Be sure and check wheel lugs for proper alignment as I have seen some with wheel holes not drilled correctly and lugs dont seat down in indentations properly.
Be assured you are not alone with this problem as many just put up with a dangerous condition that shortens the suspension life as well as what you yourself sit on and causes you to loose some steering control.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
skm2006
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks Old Mec. When I bought my tire and wheel package off ebay, one of the tires was very obviously out of round. I contacted the seller and they sent me a new wheel & tires, no questions asked. I wonder if maybe these others are slightly out of round too, and not obvious to the naked eye like the first one.

The condition on my cart definately gets worse, the faster I go.
When I get up tp around 20 mph it's shaking pretty voilently, even the steering column.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

SKM what kind of tires? Saharas?
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you find a wheel or tire out of round or you are suppitious of one wheel you might try moving it to rear of cart where it doesnt effect steering so much. Rear wheel balance will be felt more in the back of seat than in steering wheel and floor.
As I said before drive cart and warm tires up good several times and maybe that will help stop so much vibration. Around here carts sit for whole summer ( WINTER TEXANS )in the heat and when first used in fall many that dont jack them up and block the tires off ground are almost impossible to drive at first?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
skm2006
Getting Wild

Club Car

Carlisle All-Trail's on ITP SS112 rims
Old 05-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I've had that problem with Sahara 22's on 8" wheels. The tires were actually out of round.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car