lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Trueheart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default electric club car 1987 - electrical issue

When I depress the accelerator, I just get a clicking sound, 5 times as I depress, that is coming from the 5 round "solenoids" located behind the batteries. Occasionally the power clicks on and I can move forward or reverse, but this is becoming more the exception. Now it is just clicking. Can my fellow BGW members enlighten me? Loose connection, or is there a bigger problem?

Thanks,

Steve
Trueheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: electric club car 1987 - electrical issue

5 solenoids = 1 master (closest to the driver's side) and 4 speeds...
Likely the master is going bad as it has fired every time anybody has pushed the gas for the last 25 yrs
1st speed is not far behind in the # of times it has fired then 2nd speed, third, and so on.... I recommend replacing all 5 at once and be good to GO for another 25 yrs.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes, what scotty said....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I recommend replacing all 5 at once and be good to GO for another 25 yrs.
i couldn't agree more... It is so frustrating when a customer says "no, just replace the one that is bad" even after trying to explain to them the fact that they WILL be bringing the cart in in the near future to replace the rest. Depending on where you buy them, all 5 should cost you less that $200 and the peace of mind knowing that you won't be down for repairs of those solenoids is priceless.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

not what they are charging now but i used to get them for 16 dollars per....................................
Old 06-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Trueheart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

scotty. shadow & rabbit:

Thank you. Looks like you guys nailed it in a hurry, and with a 3 for 3 same response, I can now get after the repair.

I now have a secondary question. This condition has been happening intermittently for months. Sometimes after many stomps on the accelerator, I could get it to go ... get the contact to happen.

Is it possible that the overall speed could have been limited due to this condition? As for going uphill at a slow pace, could this condition also explain the cart being challenged in that regard? Could one of the "gears" have been unavailable to me, causing it to run slower or less uphill? Just wondering if I might improve performance, and not just "starting", by replacing the "noids".

Again, thank you guys for your help.

Steve
Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Negative on the top speed. WOT is a direct cable from the batteries to the motor, bypassing the speed solenoids... But the intermittent start sounds like solenoid failure. those solenoids should be about $30 each when you buy all 5 ... you should take a good look at the old cabling now too
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

once you get the master replaced, jack rear of cart up and slowly press pedal and watech wheels at 2nd click wheels should start turning and as you hear the clicks they should spin faster......if you get to a point where even if you hear the solenoid click but no more speed in wheels thats a bad one..replace........................not uncommon for a clicking solenoid to be bad..........................
Old 06-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I really miss the days of the "profit maker" (D295 or D297 I forget which) motor that Nivel used to carry. Was a $500 motor from GE that could be used without issue on those old Solenoid carts and increased the speed and torque for the customer..... oh well, those days are gone for now.

As Scotty said, I would suggest replacing your wiring while you are doing the solenoids, it is possible that you are having higher resistance along the wiring which is causing you to lose some of your voltage to the motor resulting in a slower speed. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is a possible issue with Brush wear, but I would go with the wiring first.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Trueheart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, thanks again. And now, another question due to the info you guys have provided, especially you shadow. Can I assume that one of my solenoids is good? If yes, can I move it to first position to do the testing you suggest, to then determine which of the others are bad? Looks to me like all five are the same part? I know you guys are saying to replace all 5, and that's a good suggestion, but I don't need 23 more years of service out of this 87 cart ... maybe just a few years would be fine before I trade up. Steve
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car