lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
jhhowell
Not Yet Wild

Default "Safe" Load Test for 9 yr old T-105's

How many amps can I safely apply to old T-105's without taking a chance of blowing them up? I bought a cheap ($60) 12V load tester from Harbor Freight. I called the mfgr. and they stated that although it says 12 Volt on the tester, I can safely load test 6 volt batteries. I'm taking them at their word, but don't know if I should put the maximum load (100 amps +/-) on 9 yr. old batteries. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
jhhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: "Safe" Load Test for 9 yr old T-105's

With 9 year old batterys Im sure you are looking at replacement but to answer your question I have applied 75 amp load to 6 volt batterys before without apparent damage to battery as that tester max was 75 amps. I dont think that I would stand over (any battery ) while testing as I have seen a few blow caps off because of internal gas buildup.
Having had acid in my eyes before its no fun and can cause loss of sight?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

as long as you keep the load test under 10 seconds you,ll be ok............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

At max torque, taking off in your cart it probably draws in the 250 amp area so 100 amp load won't hurt them.
First make sure they have water and are at a full charge.
Confirm full charge with a voltage test.
At 9 years old, it sounds like you spent $60 for a load tester to confirm you need new batteries.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have to agree with Doug on this, there is no reason not to put the full 100 amp load on them to test, but in reality you spent $60 for a tester you didn't need..... 9 years old is a LONG time for typical golf car batteries.

Side note...... NEVER, EVER, try using a cigarette lighter to "see" inside a battery to check the water level....... Man did I feel dumb when that gas lit up and burned every hair off my hand....... (story told just to show that even the "techs" make dumb mistakes from time to time........)
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes sir re we all make mistakes no matter how good we are or arn,t, like i said a few times before my 1st elec. E-Z that i worked on dumb mistake i caught it on fire..............should have seen it i looked like fire marshell bill running around around trying to find something to put it out ( which i did ) put the fire out, i got very lucky besides all the battery cables burnt to a crisp and some other wiring plus 5 hours of time and she was back up and running.........boy was i ever lucky................its hard for some people to admit it when they screw up and the cart owner had no clue that it ever happened until i showed them and told them figuring they would never come back and tell everyone slse why but they became loyal customers and sent lotsc of business my waybecause i told them i made a mistake smoked their cart....................oh well i learned a lot that day.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car