lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery exploded

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
SUNKING I am not familiar with the term "FWIW" batterys, can you explain please? To my knowledge all wet cell batterys after being under a load do gas off to atmosphere some unless they are sealed? And yes they do gas off under charge as well. Maybe I am behind times on new battery terchnology please enlighten me as even at my age I like to learn new things.
For What Its Worth
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK now I understand the FWIW term thank you. I must admit I am way behind times on all the new terms and abreviations used in modern comunications, so this is very helpful to me. I am just barely computer literate ( just started using computer in my late 60s )much less all the tweets and twits etc that my great grand children use daily and laugh at me for not using?
Now how about gassing off am I wrong that unsealed wet cell batterys gas off ( both ) after being under load and while charging? The cart in question had just been operating and had stopped for unknown reason and when driver was trying to get moving again the battery blew. I have seen a few batterys blow even without being in use ( no power on so must have been from internal shorts ) as well as in most cases battery cable connections arcing because of poor connections.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i have seen more than enough batts, that were fine one weekend and than after sitting just a week look to find the sides blown out of them.....one cart a 48 volt C.C. had 4 batts blow at the same time for no apparant reason......put another set in all 6 cart ran fine for a season than sat for a week and same thing 4 batts blew the sides out of them........figure that one out cause i never could.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

I have seen many batteries split open from being frozen but never had one explode and hopefully never will!
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
tangoyankee
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Today I let my wife drive it around and so far so good ( with the cart anyhow, still working on fixing the wife but that's gonna take awhile ). I ordered an upgrade kit for the wires and also an HD solenoid. I keep you all posted on my progress.
Thanks again
tangoyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
I have seen many batteries split open from being frozen but never had one explode and hopefully never will!

same here i have seen plenty of them from being frozen but this was is august-september thats what made it so frustrating trying to figure out why........and i know for sure before this episode happened i was dealing with good trogen batts that were well maintained................the 1st set i can,t tell you how old they were but the 2nd set of used ones were 3 1/2 years old taken out of a good running cart.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangoyankee View Post
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Today I let my wife drive it around and so far so good ( with the cart anyhow, still working on fixing the wife but that's gonna take awhile ). I ordered an upgrade kit for the wires and also an HD solenoid. I keep you all posted on my progress.
Thanks again
Tell her to stay positive, if she thinks any negative thoughts the batteries will blow up.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
SUNKING I am not familiar with the term "FWIW" batterys, can you explain please? To my knowledge all wet cell batterys after being under a load do gas off to atmosphere some unless they are sealed?
Hi Old Mec. Try using GOGGLE and search for the term "Battery Gassing Threshold" and see what you come up with.

In a nutshell lead acid batteries reach the gassing threshold at 2.3 to 2.4 volts per cell, and begins when the battery state of charge can no longer accept the amount of current being pushed through it by the charging process. The excess energy from this over charging causes the H2O molecules to split into hydrogen and oxygen known as electrolysis. As the battery begins to gas, the battery heats up and this lowers the gassing threshold even lower causing it to boil even more. Eventually you then hit a wall called Thermal Runaway, another term you can search if you wish. Gassing is a good thing up to a point, but it can be overdone.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
tangoyankee
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

My charger is not turning on since the battery was replaced. Do you think the battery explosion could have effected the OBC? Will resetting the OBC be worth a try?
tangoyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tangoyankee- when battery blew did you clean all acid blown around out? It can really do major damage if not neutralized right away? I would first check fuse that is behind charger receptical ( inline ) as it could have blown. If that doesnt work YES I would try reseting OBC. Also check all wiring from charger plug to number one battery or solenoid which ever way your cart is wired as it could be damaged?
Sunking- Very interesting Info thank you very much I will absorb it after finishing up on Hurricane Alex local damage.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car