lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default precedent charger problem need suggestions

this just happened this AM. when i checked cart this AM the yellow dash light was on and the charger still plugged in.

plug in charger it comes on for a second and then the fuse lower right front pops out.

you can reset and then it will run for just a second or two then pops off again.

relay clicks and charger comes on but no continued charging due to fuse pop.

looking for suggestions on how to proceed with debug. I have a neighbor that has a charger i could use to make sure it is the charger and not the cart causing the charger to kick off.
encbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: precedent charger problem need suggestions

Do you have another charger to try? Thinking the dash light is because charge cycle interupted. Useing another charger would tellyou weather charger or cart.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
Do you have another charger to try? Thinking the dash light is because charge cycle interupted. Useing another charger would tellyou weather charger or cart.
yeah i have a neighbor that has a charger i am going to borrow his tonight to see if it works.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
gadavis
Gone Wild

Sounds like the diodes have gone south. Smell of the charger and if it stinks, you will find the diode assembly has failed. However, they don't always stink, but will pop the circuit breaker on the A.C. side of the transformer when they short out. Pay close attention to how the wires are attached and draw a diagram if you need to so you will get the wires reconnected correctly.. Also it is a good idea to use some dielectric compound to help the heat transfer to the outer case to help cool the diode assembly. We averaged about one of these a month for a while at the golf course till we got our new carts and chargers. Gene Davis
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Re: precedent charger problem need suggestions

when you say pop the circuit breaker on the AC side does this mean the 15 amp resettable breaker on the front of the charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadavis View Post
Sounds like the diodes have gone south. Smell of the charger and if it stinks, you will find the diode assembly has failed. However, they don't always stink, but will pop the circuit breaker on the A.C. side of the transformer when they short out. Pay close attention to how the wires are attached and draw a diagram if you need to so you will get the wires reconnected correctly.. Also it is a good idea to use some dielectric compound to help the heat transfer to the outer case to help cool the diode assembly. We averaged about one of these a month for a while at the golf course till we got our new carts and chargers. Gene Davis
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

it looks to be charger neighbors charger worked fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by encbuggy View Post
when you say pop the circuit breaker on the AC side does this mean the 15 amp resettable breaker on the front of the charger?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I say gdavis is right!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
gadavis
Gone Wild

Yup, Scotty we saw this on a regular basis over the last couple of years at Twin City Country country Club until we traded in our batch of carts. I did find that most everyone that was fried did not have a good coating of dielectric compound for heat transfer and actually had a lot of air gaps between the diode group and the charger case. Chargers came with a white compound on the back of the diode group originally, then the replacement diodes quit having any compound in the new package so I began using the dielectric grease that is used on automotive solid state ignition parts and it seemed to work well.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry I didn't get baack quicker was on road. That is what I thought that the diodes were gone. Use the greese on ssr's at work helps them last, as long as you use a lot of it to fill voids.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
gadavis
Gone Wild

That's how I did it. Gene
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car