lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is better, MCOR or three prong potentiometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Personally my preference for the MCOR stems from the fact it's virtually a sealed unit. The old school POT under the gas pedal was way too open for it's location. To answer Scotty's Question though... I would assume so, but I have never dismantled one.....
Me neither but I did read about a guy who did.... Yes the old pot was very exposed to water under the cart, which they do not do well with. I can see that being a minus....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Spoken like a true dealership tech Seriously are you saying the Potentiometer is junk? If you are replacing them today they have done 15 years duty...Show me some 15 yr old MCORS? Pots are the most common type of variable in/out put in use today in both ac&dc, no?

My question remains .....
Does or does not the MCOR have a pot in it?
Call it what you want... But it's a piece of junk. Not referring to a "Potentiometer" in general, but the Club Car one that mounts under the drivers feet... SUCKS. Thats why they didn't use it very long. The reason being, because it's not sealed. The V-Glide switch, although only multi-step was a much better unit. And yes you're right they've lasted fifteen years, but god only knows how many times the micro switches have had to be replaced or the pot having to be recalibrated. The condition and life span of the potbox all depends on the elements the vehicle is put through. No thanks, I'll take my MCOR any day, and yes... it does have a pot in it, completely sealed from the elements. Can't show you any of those that are fifteen years old yet because they've only been out for 9. Not to mention the fact that when it does fail, it only takes about 2 minutes to replaces, as opposed to somewhere around an hour.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Well that sums it up
Thank you, David.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Well that sums it up
Thank you, David.
No problem man.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Call it what you want... But it's a piece of junk. Not referring to a "Potentiometer" in general, but the Club Car one that mounts under the drivers feet... SUCKS. Thats why they didn't use it very long. The reason being, because it's not sealed. The V-Glide switch, although only multi-step was a much better unit. And yes you're right they've lasted fifteen years, but god only knows how many times the micro switches have had to be replaced or the pot having to be recalibrated. The condition and life span of the potbox all depends on the elements the vehicle is put through. No thanks, I'll take my MCOR any day, and yes... it does have a pot in it, completely sealed from the elements. Can't show you any of those that are fifteen years old yet because they've only been out for 9. Not to mention the fact that when it does fail, it only takes about 2 minutes to replaces, as opposed to somewhere around an hour.
MCOR's fail?? no way...... On a more serious note.... Thank you for solving the mystery of what is actually in an MCOR. I was actually gonna crack one open just to see so you just saved me a destroyed MCOR.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
MCOR's fail?? no way...... On a more serious note.... Thank you for solving the mystery of what is actually in an MCOR. I was actually gonna crack one open just to see so you just saved me a destroyed MCOR.
Don't get me wrong. They fail. Everything does. There's not anything electronic in existence today that doesn't. But being sealed, it definitely withstands the elements better than anything else they've used prior to the MCOR. But yeah... it's nothing more than a potentiometer and a micro switch. In 2009 Club Car decided to use a "Throttle Position Sensor" for their Precedent vehicles. It included no micro switch, it was all electronically sensed. About 6 months after it came out we received a bulletin describing the "Throttle Position Sensor to MCOR conversion kit" The 2010 cars all have MCORs
Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #17
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

A while back I posted a request for an old defective MCOR and found that apparently this very seldom happens as I only recieved ONE offer? I have (4 ) MCOR's with only the micro bad in them and want to see if there is any way to open the case and replace micor's and reseal? I hate to destroy a possible good unit in my quest for cheap repairs? If I can repair these 4 I will hold them for local LOW to NO income people and replace them at NO COST TO THEM, as I do with many other items. The 4 units were taken off by a friend of mine when new Club Car's would not work right from factory? At that time factory didn't want them back, but now a local dealer told me when I asked about getting bad unit that ( ANY ) defective unit is to be returned?? Reason unknown? Could it be that they are looking for possible defects with the excelent history of units? Or are they repairing them? Which doesn't make sense to me as labor costs would be very high? NOTE the defective units I have were prior to the 2009 unit's without micro.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car