lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
bk005
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Gas Yamaha Drive Problems after lift

2007 Gas Yamaha YDRA Drive. I added Madjax 6" A-Arm lift with 23" tires. Immediately after the lift, the cart's belt sounded alarmingly loud and when I let off of the gas (at full throttle) it sounded like a baseball card in bicycle spokes until it slow to an idle. Kind of like a car that's trying to go into gear- grinding sort of. It also stalls and jumps if you floor it from a stop. I have lifted a gas Yamaga before with no problems similar to this. Not sure what's going on. Anyone with similar issue before?
bk005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas Yamaha Drive Problems after lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk005 View Post
2007 Gas Yamaha YDRA Drive. I added Madjax 6" A-Arm lift with 23" tires. Immediately after the lift, the cart's belt sounded alarmingly loud and when I let off of the gas (at full throttle) it sounded like a baseball card in bicycle spokes until it slow to an idle. Kind of like a car that's trying to go into gear- grinding sort of. It also stalls and jumps if you floor it from a stop. I have lifted a gas Yamaga before with no problems similar to this. Not sure what's going on. Anyone with similar issue before?
Are you sure it's the belt and not the tires rubbing in the wheel wells? If it is the belt, most likely the steeper angle of the lift is allowing the belt/clutches to rub up against something. That shouldn't be hard to isolate. One other thought could be the transmission not shifting completely into forward gear. See if the problem occurs in reverse.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
bk005
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Excellent thoughts Sandbagger. I checked the belts/clutches. Seem to be free and clear.
What is the part in the picture? What does it do? What is is connected to via that wire? What happens if it is not connected? Just wondering because after I lifted, I noticed it was not connected to anything and I have a loose wire hanging above it that won't reach it now (if it was connected before).

I screenshotted this off a video. I know the belts are missing...

Doesn't happen in reverse...How do I know if it's not going completely into forward gear? And how do I fix it? I checked the actuators and they seem to function normally. The cables were zip tied to the frame and were a bit tight. Should they be a bit loose?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Oil sending unit. Will not hurt anything unplugged, just the oil light will not come on if oil low.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
bk005
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

After more extensive testing it does do it in reverse. It has a wicked shimmy when I let off the gas and it is coming back to idle. happens in forward, reverse, and neutral. Sounds like it's rattling something loose.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Could be a secondary clutch problem if it happens at speed or when you rev in neutral and it shifts out. Not sure what that has to do with a lift though. Check the secondary make sure its not wobbling and can't move around it must stay straight with the belt (both sheaves).
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When I first got my 2011 DRIVE it came with the 6” lift and 23” tires already installed. I was experiencing a similar problem as yours. The belt was worn out so I replaced it with an aftermarket belt, at first the problem went away until the replacement proved to be inferior. I ended up getting an OEM belt and a torque spring for the driven clutch to allow for the lift and larger tires and no problems since.
Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
bk005
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, everyone. I ordered a torque spring and new belt last night. The belt is not worn out but seems really loose to me. We'll see.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Older yamaha all use 1 3/16" wide belt and they tell you at 1" wide it needs replacing, however if you lift the cart and have the extra strain of higher gearing with big tires (or HS gears) you find out you need to replace it sooner. I've been running a CPP kevlar cogged belt and its working really well. Its actually 1 1/4" wide new so it rides slightly higher in the secondary though it can drag a little in the primary too until it wears some. Not sure if this applies to Drives or not or if they have those belts for them. The belt width does change how it shifts, more narrow hurts your takeoff and low speed power. Some carts you can adjust the distance engine to trans older yamaha had a tension cable to hold engine torque. Tighter would help takeoff and hill climbing but too much would scrub your top speed.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
bk005
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for your help. The cart is up and running now thanks to your advice, a few parts, and some new tools. In all, I replaced the primary clutch with a Comet performance clutch, the drive belt, and the torque spring. To do these upgrades, I invested in a new compressor, a set of air tools, and a snap ring tool. All good purchases and completely necessary for the upgrades. Don't even think of trying to remove or seat a primary clutch without air tools. Not sure if the clutch was bad before the lift or the larger wheels/tires did it in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha