lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear end alignment or adjustments possible?

This is the first time I had a chance to see your photos on a computer screen. Yes, the overload leafs are installed upside down in the pack. If it were me I would disassemble the springs and flip the lower leaves, but I have decades of experience with leaf springs from small trailers to semi tractors. Best the vendor finds out the springs they sold were incorrectly made. They can nip this in the bud if they value their customers.

ETA: This is also why the tires are rubbing. The springs as made are now lower in spring rate than the stockers without the lower leaf contributing to carrying the load. They could be slightly different in length too but the incorrect assembly is causing 95% of your problem.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
barneyz71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
This is the first time I had a chance to see your photos on a computer screen. Yes, the overload leafs are installed upside down in the pack. If it were me I would disassemble the springs and flip the lower leaves, but I have decades of experience with leaf springs from small trailers to semi tractors. Best the vendor finds out the springs they sold were incorrectly made. They can nip this in the bud if they value their customers.

ETA: This is also why the tires are rubbing. The springs as made are now lower in spring rate than the stockers without the lower leaf contributing to carrying the load. They could be slightly different in length too but the incorrect assembly is causing 95% of your problem.
I sent this to the vendor that sold them to me and they are telling my that I installed them upside down? Please let me know your thoughts.
barneyz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

LOL. You didn't install them upside down unless all they sold you were the bottom leaves. The short, bottom leaf on both sides is upside down based on the curvature. I assume you received two rear spring assemblies rather than what is called an "add a leaf".

Regardless, you have the eyes on both springs turned upward so the assemblies are installed right side up. Which springs did you get (standard, HD, dual action, etc.) and from whom did you order them?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
barneyz71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
LOL. You didn't install them upside down unless all they sold you were the bottom leaves. The short, bottom leaf on both sides is upside down based on the curvature. I assume you received two rear spring assemblies rather than what is called an "add a leaf".

Regardless, you have the eyes on both springs turned upward so the assemblies are installed right side up. Which springs did you get (standard, HD, dual action, etc.) and from whom did you order them?
I have replied to the vendor letting them know that the leaf springs are not installed upside down and that the short leaf is installed on the spring upside down. I'll let you know what they say and see if they are going to make it right before I mention the vendor by name.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #15
barneyz71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I was working with the vendor to get these leaf spring issues figured out. They said they contacted the manufacturer and the manufacturer said they are installed correctly and not upside down. They were to have a meeting on it last Thursday and get back with me with what to do. I emailed them Friday and again today with no response to either email. This same site sponsor sent me a 4" lift when I ordered a 6" and corrected it right away by sending the correct lift out asap. They emailed me a label to send the wrong lift back, which I sent back asap. They also sent me 5 spoke Vampire wheels while I purchased 6 spoke Vampire wheels. I didn't say anything to them as it wasn't a big deal.

Short story is, I ordered three items totaling over $1000 and had issues with all three items and they won't even take a minute to respond.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just very disappointed with how they are handling things.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
barneyz71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The vendor and site sponsor is Golf Cart Tire Supply. Below is the last response I received from them and then nothing. It looked like they wanted to help and then nothing. I emailed them twice after the email below and they just do not respond.

"Mike Pinkowski
Mar 7 (6 days ago)

to me

Dave,

I am currently working with the manufacturer. I decided to climb the ladder all the way to the top and solve this with a point source solution : the manufacturer. They admitted that you installed everything correctly and said it looks like everything is manufactured correctly. They said they haven't had any quality issues with this lot. I am waiting to hear back from the as they are literally having a meeting about this issue to make sure we solve it as soon as we can!

Thanks Dave!"
Old 03-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #17
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So far they have seemed like a good vendor. You might want to place a phone call to Dave.

But I have a hard time with the mfr saying the spring is mfr'd correctly. No overload spring (bottom one) should ever have a negative arch in it. In 41 years of working with leaf springs of all types and sizes I have never seen that. And not on anyone else's rear golf cart springs either. That i why initially I asked you about the springs. If you know the brand I am curious to search for pics of their springs and compare to your photos.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #18
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When comparing the springs offered on this page some questions come to mind.
http://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/cl...ng-suspension/

The set on the left that shows a relatively flat bottom leaf the spring has quite a bit of arch unloaded. Those springs are listed for a DS. The springs on the right shown to fit a Precedent show the bottom leaf matching the curvature of the rest of the spring pack.

It is my strong suspicion whoever looked at your spring picture, and feels the springs are assembled correctly, are not noticing the lower spring has a negative arch to give it the gaps from the other leaves at each end. And that look in the pics is for the DS spring. Your rear springs, as installed, are virtually flat with little arch with no weight on it other than the cart. That is obvious by the shackles being very slanted backward like a spring that is loaded to its max capacity.

Lastly, from what I can tell, the springs installed on your cart now have two longer leaves and the lower, thicker, overload leaf. Both springs on the website show three longer leaves and one short, thick overload leaf. You have three leaf springs and the photos show four leaf springs.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #19
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Does that go together with one u bolt on each side? Looks like parts are missing but the question is how do you control the axle roll with only one u bolt?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #20
barneyz71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
When comparing the springs offered on this page some questions come to mind.
http://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/cl...ng-suspension/

The set on the left that shows a relatively flat bottom leaf the spring has quite a bit of arch unloaded. Those springs are listed for a DS. The springs on the right shown to fit a Precedent show the bottom leaf matching the curvature of the rest of the spring pack.

It is my strong suspicion whoever looked at your spring picture, and feels the springs are assembled correctly, are not noticing the lower spring has a negative arch to give it the gaps from the other leaves at each end. And that look in the pics is for the DS spring. Your rear springs, as installed, are virtually flat with little arch with no weight on it other than the cart. That is obvious by the shackles being very slanted backward like a spring that is loaded to its max capacity.

Lastly, from what I can tell, the springs installed on your cart now have two longer leaves and the lower, thicker, overload leaf. Both springs on the website show three longer leaves and one short, thick overload leaf. You have three leaf springs and the photos show four leaf springs.
These are the springs I purchased. I'm not sure which springs I received.

http://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/cl...s-dual-action/
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car