lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
BadApple
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '89 Marathon with loud whine

I have a 1989 Marathon with a fresh rebuilt 3PG. It starts easy and will run strong for awhile, then it feels like it is having a big strain put on the engine, bogs down, and comes to a quick stop. There is a loud whine that seems to be coming from the rear end or driven clutch when this happens. The rear end has fresh gear oil in it. It will run fine with out a load on it while on jackstands, it only happens when I'm driving it and it's intermittent. After I come to a stop it will start right back up and won't happen again until...............it does (usually a few minutes). I'm leaning towards the driven clutch, any advice will be appreciated.
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '89 Marathon with loud whine

It is possible that the spring in the driven clutch is weak and allowing the sheaves to separate too much. This causes the belt to fall inside the clutch which greatly increases the final drive ratio and causes the cart to bog down. It might not appear to happen on stands as there is little load on the engine so you don't hear the effect. Try observing the action of the driven clutch whilst the cart is on the stands. You should see it gradually open wide as the revs increase (don't overdo it) Now briefly give it a little more gas, if my hypothesis is correct you will see the clutch suddenly snap wide open and the belt drop into the center.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
BadApple
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try and let you know.......
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Could the starter/gen be going bad and causing the problem? To me if it had a bad bearing or something it could put extra strain on the motor that isn't noticable till all the extra weight of the cart is on it. Just an idea that might be worth looking into while your under there.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO